Re: Member Roll Call of the SIG on Surname Projects and Genetic Genealogy

  • mrundqui
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 15, 2009
      Hello, Jim,

      I'm Marie Rundquist of Independence Avenue, the GW Parkway, 495 and I270 -- where I live in Gaithersburg. Even with a carpool, and access to the HOV lanes, I am finding that making a 7:00 p.m. engagement ANYWHERE in this town is impossible -- Try as I might, I can't make it any further than Old Georgetown Road by that time. The move to Northern Virginia I had anticipated for my Government client never worked out -- we are still downtown (my client and I). My extracurricular availability for week night activities is nil ... and this I regret as I did enjoy your group and participating in it was a shot in the arm.

      I'm engaged heavily with my Amerindian Ancestry out of Acadia FTDNA Project -- we're at 126 members now and showing a strong Amerindian trend in the Y haplogroups for our participants, with the C3b haplogroup, the only known Native American subgroup of Haplogroup C showing up in the matches for 5 of our participants. I am coordinating my data with the other C/C3 Administrator through Roberta Estes, who is engaging in further research of the Haplogroup C. We have posted 5 FGS results to the NIH Genbank and continue to put our markers on the map this way.

      I continue to meet my maternal ancestor Anne Marie descendants through our project - and just attended two Mi'kmaq-Acadian festivals in Nova Scotia where her descendants can be found living in the villages along the Southern Coast. What a wonderful time we had up there this year -- eating the Moose Meat, Mussels, Bar Clams, and Eel..visiting with cousins and exchanging stories...how great it is to be alive in your heritage!

      An email circular would be great -- I can read better late at night. I am simply unable with my schedule and work to participate in anything early evening. I am "evening disabled," I suppose - based on this ridiculous Fall/Winter commuting schedule.

      Best to everyone!

      Marie Rundquist

    • kyin48pioneer@cox.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 15, 2009

        1) Are you interested in future meetings of the SIG. If not, I can
        remove you from the mail list.

        I am interested.

        2) If you did not attend the last meeting, was it because of lack of
        interest in the announced subject? Conflict is schedule? Went to the
        wrong location? Difficulty of getting to Dolly Madison? Other?

        Conflict right before a Labor Day weekend trip and after taking daughter to college prior weekend.

        3) Do you have suggestions for meeting place? Change of schedule?
        Future meeting subjects? Possible presenters?

        DM is okay. Personally prefer Fairfax City since I'm in Springfield. The parking is plentiful in the garage and the lighting is excellent. Not hard for someone to take training to close after a late meeting.(I just came back from Old Dominion SIG tonight)

        Thanks.

        Sue Smith

      • William Hurst
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
          Hi Jim and all,

          I am of course interested in future meetings of the SIG. I've been to most of them, including the one this month. I prefer the Dolly Madison location over Fairfax City. Getting to the latter would involve going out with late rush hour traffic. But I could make it.

          There were probably several reasons for the small turn-out at the last meeting, mainly that it was at a new location and was pre-Labor Day.

          The problem of presentations is more difficult. Most of those of us in the group who give them have already done so more than once. Getting outside presenters might depend on getting a larger attendance.

          Bill

        • Lonnie Benson
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009

            1 Yes I am interested in future meetings.

            2 Missed the last meeting due to my birthday party. I live in Chantilly so Fairfax Library would be closer but DM would not be a problem.

            3 No suggestions at this time.

            Lonnie Benson

[...]

            ============ ========
            J. J. (Jim) Logan
            Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Project

          • Dorothy A. Flores
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2009
              Thanks for your request.
              1)  I am interested in future meetings