Re: [GenGen-NV] Regular monthly -- Introduction to Y-DNA. Was Gen-Gen meetin...

  • kleinjwsh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28 6:09 AM
      QUESTION:

      How does one calculate ones haplotype just by the 12 or 24 marker Y testing?

      Thanks....Susan Klein
    • bobmclaren@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28 11:12 AM
        Susan,

        The 12- or 24- marker set of values is the haplotype. Are you referring to
        haplogroup? If so, this is estimated from your haplotype and is normally
        about 95% or so accurate. If you tested through Family Tree DNA, they will
        either estimate the haplogroup and give it to you or, if they are uncertain
        about the haplogroup, they will do a free SNP test to determine the
        haplogroup. If you have tested through SMFG or Ancestry.com, they only
        estimate the haplogroup (and at times their estimate is way off).

        Yours aye,

        Bob McLaren

        Message 3 of 3 , May 28 11:52 AM
          My son had 12 markers tested with Family Tree. They predicted his haplogroup and their prediciton seemed way off to him. When he spoke with the representative, she agreed, and ordered SNP testing at no expense to my son.

          His haplogroup was different than the predicted one. We were very grateful to Family Tree for investigating further. Since that time, my son has joined his haplogroup project at Family Tree and is awaiting refinement results.

          I would highly recommend FTDNA to those who are interested in DNA testing.

          Kathi Williams