April 2nd meeting of GenGen-NV

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7 7:38 AM
      Greetings:

      At the last meeting, Linda suggested the topic of "Concepts in Population Genetics".  She remembered that I has used the term "founder effect" in my presentation the month before.  The subject it probably too broad to cover in one meeting but we can certainly get started.  Please send my any terms that you think should be included and I will try to organize a list for discussion.

      Logan DNA Project, GenGen-NV, ISOGG, GOONS, CWG/VASSAR
    • Jim Bartlett
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7 10:11 AM

        MRCA (for Y, mt, or atDNA)

        Genetic Distance

        centiMorgan

        SNP (as used in Y and in atDNA testing)

        Base pair; Megabasepair

        Haplotype vs Haplogroup

        Haplogroup use in Y, mt and atDNA

        DNA Segment

        Shared Segment vs Segment from Ancestor

        Admixture - and other terms used with it.

        Recombination and Crossover Points

        Generations vs Transmission Events

        Chromosome Mapping

        Phasing

        IBD vs IBS

        "Sticky Segments" - segments which appear to be roughly the same passing down through several generations (evading recombination crossovers; not being subdivided)

        Genetic Triangulation (A=B=C=A) on same/overlapping segments.

        Genealogy Triangulation - 3 Matches agree on same Common Ancestor.

        Jim - Sent from my iPhone FaceTime!

        On Mar 7, 2014, at 10:38 AM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

        Greetings:

        At the last meeting, Linda suggested the topic of "Concepts in Population Genetics".  She remembered that I has used the term "founder effect" in my presentation the month before.  The subject it probably too broad to cover in one meeting but we can certainly get started.  Please send my any terms that you think should be included and I will try to organize a list for discussion.

        Logan DNA Project, GenGen-NV, ISOGG, GOONS, CWG/VASSAR
      • Barbara L. Carr
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9 12:15 PM
          Full Genomic Sequence.

          Barbara

          To: GenGen-NV@yahoogroups.com
          From: jjlnv@...
          Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 10:38:49 -0500
          Subject: [GenGen-NV] April 2nd meeting of GenGen-NV

          Greetings:

          At the last meeting, Linda suggested the topic of "Concepts in Population Genetics".  She remembered that I has used the term "founder effect" in my presentation the month before.  The subject it probably too broad to cover in one meeting but we can certainly get started.  Please send my any terms that you think should be included and I will try to organize a list for discussion.

          Logan DNA Project, GenGen-NV, ISOGG, GOONS, CWG/VASSAR

        • Bill Howard
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9 2:57 PM

            There is a pretty extensive list of terminology — a glossary of terms at the following web site:

            It looks like an excellent list from which to choose discussion topics.

            Kerchner has a partial list of terminology at the following web site (in the hopes of selling a book):

            There is a more extensive glossary by Kerchner at the following web site:

            There is a very short genetic vocabulary at the following URL:

            It might be interesting to copy and paste all this in a Word document and then sort them into a monstrous file! Could be very useful to us after duplicates are eliminated.

            - - Bye from Bill Howard

            On Mar 7, 2014, at 10:38 AM, J. J. (Jim) Logan <JJLNV@...> wrote:

            Greetings:

            At the last meeting, Linda suggested the topic of "Concepts in Population Genetics".  She remembered that I has used the term "founder effect" in my presentation the month before.  The subject it probably too broad to cover in one meeting but we can certainly get started.  Please send my any terms that you think should be included and I will try to organize a list for discussion.

            History is the Consensus of Survivors in Authority.
            Reality is the Weighted Mean of Individual Perceptions.

          • Jim Bartlett