Re: Help with y-DNA analysis

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      Looking at FTDNA's website, I believe I should use the infinite allele comparison method to interpret the results.
      (Reference: http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers/default.aspx?faqid=9#939 )

      Thus, DYS459 would be considered a mismatch and would be interpreted as a Genetic Distance of 1. Is this correct?

      The DYS464 differences would be considered a palindromic copy number change where one kit is DYS464abcde and the other kit is DYS464abcdefgh. This would be interpreted as a Genetic Distance of 3. Is this correct?

      DYS-CDY would be also be considered a mismatch and would be interpreted as a Genetic Distance of 1. Is this correct?

      Thus, the total Genetic Distance between the two kits would be 5. Is this correct?

      Does this indicate that my cousin and I are descended from the same male ancestor?

      Thanks for any insight?

      -Tom Weingart

    • sidneysachs@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
        Tom,

        For 5th cousins, about 20% of the times, one would get with 3 markers off.  What I found with your value on 464 is that you have an odd number of copies.  I think  I never saw that before.

        About updating to more markers, I do not think that is what I would do.  I think checking your cousin on the SNP M458 that defined you as R1a1a1g may be the better way of getting  your answer.

        Sidney Sachs

[...]

        Amazing Sleep Secret
        If you have trouble falling or staying asleep, try this weird trick.
        peaklife.com
      • Thomas
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
          Bob,

          Thanks for the advice. After I posted the message here, I sent a message to the FTDNA's helpdesk addressing the issue and asked for their advice.

          - Tom