Re: [GenGen-NV] Back to genealogy

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
      Jim:

      I have given more thought to our GenGen program schedule and have
      suggestion/requests.

      I expect Bob's discussion to be primarily on the various databases of
      Ancestry.com and very little on the DNA features. That is one reason I
      suggested you step in the breach and do something on DNA at Ancestry.

      In addition being a transition, I suggested that your discussion could
      permit time for followon questions from your December presentation.

      Rather than a lecture in November,I conducted more of a workshop Y-DNA
      and did everything live on the Internet. It was purposefully very
      elementary for some of our members who have been askingfor such a
      presentation. Although I had a plan available but did not use any
      handouts, but rather just went along with questions. I just logged on
      to my personal account and looked at the various features while
      explaining the details. For example, I explained haplotype and then
      went into what an STR was and associated complications. I sent into
      haplotree explaining what a SNP was. I stayed on each feature until
      either the questions ran out or a question lead us to another feature.
      I got several expressions of appreciation, especially from those who had
      been asking for beginner sessions. I have ask Bob to do a similar
      presentation of using the databases of Ancestry.com

      In December you presented a well received presentation of using the
      results of autosomal tests, but did not discuss the interfaces to the
      autosomal data itself. I have made such presentations in the past, but
      not as a workshop. Perhaps, you could do a workshop on accessing the
      autosomal data. We don't need as muc background as you presented in
      December, but start by simply logging into an account and start
      accessing data, explaining what you find. As I told Bob, I would be
      glad to expose my account and would even do the keyboarding you you can
      just talkand tell me what feature to go to next. I now have autosomal
      data at 12aandMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry, but Iam still learning. (For
      years, I have concentrated in developing phylogenies and doing other
      basic research for mtDNA Haplogroup J and Tand have neglected my own
      geneaology. I just getting back to it.)

      What to you think?

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
        GenGen group.

        My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to
        go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
        The Special Interest Group is for the benefit of its members and your
        input is appropriate.

      • Bob Epp
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012

          Jim:

          I like the direction that you are going!  Keep up the good work.

          I have been trying to get Paul Svercl on your distro list; please add him from the above address line!

          Bob Epp
          Epp Surname Researcher
          DNA Project: www.ftdna.com
          703-475-6233

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
            Thanks for the endorsement, Bob. I know you moved away from us, but you
            are welcome back to our meetings any time.