Re: [GenGen-NV] Back to genealogy

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
      Thanks.

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
        Jim:

        I have given more thought to our GenGen program schedule and have
        suggestion/requests.

        I expect Bob's discussion to be primarily on the various databases of
        Ancestry.com and very little on the DNA features. That is one reason I
        suggested you step in the breach and do something on DNA at Ancestry.

        In addition being a transition, I suggested that your discussion could
        permit time for followon questions from your December presentation.

        Rather than a lecture in November,I conducted more of a workshop Y-DNA
        and did everything live on the Internet. It was purposefully very
        elementary for some of our members who have been askingfor such a
        presentation. Although I had a plan available but did not use any
        handouts, but rather just went along with questions. I just logged on
        to my personal account and looked at the various features while
        explaining the details. For example, I explained haplotype and then
        went into what an STR was and associated complications. I sent into
        haplotree explaining what a SNP was. I stayed on each feature until
        either the questions ran out or a question lead us to another feature.
        I got several expressions of appreciation, especially from those who had
        been asking for beginner sessions. I have ask Bob to do a similar
        presentation of using the databases of Ancestry.com

        In December you presented a well received presentation of using the
        results of autosomal tests, but did not discuss the interfaces to the
        autosomal data itself. I have made such presentations in the past, but
        not as a workshop. Perhaps, you could do a workshop on accessing the
        autosomal data. We don't need as muc background as you presented in
        December, but start by simply logging into an account and start
        accessing data, explaining what you find. As I told Bob, I would be
        glad to expose my account and would even do the keyboarding you you can
        just talkand tell me what feature to go to next. I now have autosomal
        data at 12aandMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry, but Iam still learning. (For
        years, I have concentrated in developing phylogenies and doing other
        basic research for mtDNA Haplogroup J and Tand have neglected my own
        geneaology. I just getting back to it.)

        What to you think?

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
          GenGen group.

          My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to
          go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
          The Special Interest Group is for the benefit of its members and your
          input is appropriate.

        • Bob Epp
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012

            Jim:

            I like the direction that you are going!  Keep up the good work.

            I have been trying to get Paul Svercl on your distro list; please add him from the above address line!

            Bob Epp
            Epp Surname Researcher
            DNA Project: www.ftdna.com
            703-475-6233

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
              Thanks for the endorsement, Bob. I know you moved away from us, but you
              are welcome back to our meetings any time.