Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [GenGen-NV] Back to genealogy

Expand Messages
  • Jim Bartlett
    I d be happy to - got it on my calendar Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      I'd be happy to - got it on my calendar

      Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

      On Dec 17, 2012, at 9:08 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

      > Jim:
      >
      > I have Nell Hurley making a presentation on January 2 on a surname
      > project. Bob McLaren is now scheduled to do a walk through of
      > Ancestry.com on March 6. This leaves open February 6. Perhaps you could
      > lead a discussion of atDNA at Ancestry on that date as a transition
      > between your December presentation and Bob's Ancestry presentation. This
      > could also permit follow up questions from last meeting. Then in May
      > and June we could finish the program year with GEDmatch and FamilySearch.
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > ====================
      > J. J. (Jim) Logan
      > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
      > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
      > ===================================================================
      >
      > On 12/9/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Bartlett wrote:
      >>
      >> Jim
      >>
      >> Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching
      >> genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.
      >>
      >> As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal
      >> Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and
      >> worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to
      >> lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of
      >> their features yet.
      >>
      >> I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen
      >> shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common
      >> Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.
      >>
      >> The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and
      >> skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you
      >> for providing this forum.
      >>
      >> Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!
      >>
      >> On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...
      >> <mailto:jjlnv%40comcast.net>> wrote:
      >>
      >>> Greetings:
      >>>
      >>> In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
      >>> senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
      >>> in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you
      >> find
      >>> relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
      >>> is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
      >>> trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
      >>>
      >>> I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
      >>> comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
      >>> example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
      >>> someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
      >>> Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my
      >> subscription
      >>> expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
      >>> extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
      >>> you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
      >>> with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
      >>> others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
      >>>
      >>> There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
      >>> these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
      >>> helping us getting started in using these resources.
      >>>
      >>> You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
      >>> for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
      >>> welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
      >>> glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
      >>>
      >>> This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
      >>> future direction is largely up to you.
      >>>
      >>> Jim
      >>>
      >>> --
      >>> ====================
      >>> J. J. (Jim) Logan
      >>> Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
      >>> Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
      >>> ============================
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
    • J. J. (Jim) Logan
      Thanks. ==================== J. J. (Jim) Logan Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        Thanks.

        ====================
        J. J. (Jim) Logan
        Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
        Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
        ===================================================================

        On 12/17/2012 10:41 PM, Jim Bartlett wrote:
        >
        > I'd be happy to - got it on my calendar
        >
        > Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!
        >
        > On Dec 17, 2012, at 9:08 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...
        > <mailto:jjlnv%40comcast.net>> wrote:
        >
        > > Jim:
        > >
        > > I have Nell Hurley making a presentation on January 2 on a surname
        > > project. Bob McLaren is now scheduled to do a walk through of
        > > Ancestry.com on March 6. This leaves open February 6. Perhaps you could
        > > lead a discussion of atDNA at Ancestry on that date as a transition
        > > between your December presentation and Bob's Ancestry presentation.
        > This
        > > could also permit follow up questions from last meeting. Then in May
        > > and June we could finish the program year with GEDmatch and
        > FamilySearch.
        > >
        > > Jim
        > >
        > > ====================
        > > J. J. (Jim) Logan
        > > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
        > > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
        > > ===================================================================
        > >
        > > On 12/9/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Bartlett wrote:
        > >>
        > >> Jim
        > >>
        > >> Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching
        > >> genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.
        > >>
        > >> As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal
        > >> Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and
        > >> worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to
        > >> lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of
        > >> their features yet.
        > >>
        > >> I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen
        > >> shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common
        > >> Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.
        > >>
        > >> The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and
        > >> skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you
        > >> for providing this forum.
        > >>
        > >> Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!
        > >>
        > >> On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...
        > <mailto:jjlnv%40comcast.net>
        > >> <mailto:jjlnv%40comcast.net>> wrote:
        > >>
        > >>> Greetings:
        > >>>
        > >>> In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
        > >>> senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
        > >>> in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you
        > >> find
        > >>> relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
        > >>> is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
        > >>> trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
        > >>>
        > >>> I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
        > >>> comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
        > >>> example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
        > >>> someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
        > >>> Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my
        > >> subscription
        > >>> expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
        > >>> extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
        > >>> you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
        > >>> with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
        > >>> others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
        > >>>
        > >>> There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
        > >>> these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
        > >>> helping us getting started in using these resources.
        > >>>
        > >>> You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail
        > list
        > >>> for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
        > >>> welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
        > >>> glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
        > >>>
        > >>> This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
        > >>> future direction is largely up to you.
        > >>>
        > >>> Jim
        > >>>
        > >>> --
        > >>> ====================
        > >>> J. J. (Jim) Logan
        > >>> Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
        > >>> Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
        > >>> ============================
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > ------------------------------------
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >
        > >
        > >
        >
        >
      • J. J. (Jim) Logan
        Jim: I have given more thought to our GenGen program schedule and have suggestion/requests. I expect Bob s discussion to be primarily on the various databases
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          Jim:

          I have given more thought to our GenGen program schedule and have
          suggestion/requests.

          I expect Bob's discussion to be primarily on the various databases of
          Ancestry.com and very little on the DNA features. That is one reason I
          suggested you step in the breach and do something on DNA at Ancestry.

          In addition being a transition, I suggested that your discussion could
          permit time for followon questions from your December presentation.

          Rather than a lecture in November,I conducted more of a workshop Y-DNA
          and did everything live on the Internet. It was purposefully very
          elementary for some of our members who have been askingfor such a
          presentation. Although I had a plan available but did not use any
          handouts, but rather just went along with questions. I just logged on
          to my personal account and looked at the various features while
          explaining the details. For example, I explained haplotype and then
          went into what an STR was and associated complications. I sent into
          haplotree explaining what a SNP was. I stayed on each feature until
          either the questions ran out or a question lead us to another feature.
          I got several expressions of appreciation, especially from those who had
          been asking for beginner sessions. I have ask Bob to do a similar
          presentation of using the databases of Ancestry.com

          In December you presented a well received presentation of using the
          results of autosomal tests, but did not discuss the interfaces to the
          autosomal data itself. I have made such presentations in the past, but
          not as a workshop. Perhaps, you could do a workshop on accessing the
          autosomal data. We don't need as muc background as you presented in
          December, but start by simply logging into an account and start
          accessing data, explaining what you find. As I told Bob, I would be
          glad to expose my account and would even do the keyboarding you you can
          just talkand tell me what feature to go to next. I now have autosomal
          data at 12aandMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry, but Iam still learning. (For
          years, I have concentrated in developing phylogenies and doing other
          basic research for mtDNA Haplogroup J and Tand have neglected my own
          geneaology. I just getting back to it.)

          What to you think?

          Jim

          ====================
          J. J. (Jim) Logan
          Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
          Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
          ===================================================================

          On 12/17/2012 10:41 PM, Jim Bartlett wrote:
          >
          > I'd be happy to - got it on my calendar
          >
          > Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!
          >
          > On Dec 17, 2012, at 9:08 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...
          > <mailto:jjlnv%40comcast.net>> wrote:
          >
          > > Jim:
          > >
          > > I have Nell Hurley making a presentation on January 2 on a surname
          > > project. Bob McLaren is now scheduled to do a walk through of
          > > Ancestry.com on March 6. This leaves open February 6. Perhaps you could
          > > lead a discussion of atDNA at Ancestry on that date as a transition
          > > between your December presentation and Bob's Ancestry presentation.
          > This
          > > could also permit follow up questions from last meeting. Then in May
          > > and June we could finish the program year with GEDmatch and
          > FamilySearch.
          > >
          > > Jim
          > >
          > > ====================
          > > J. J. (Jim) Logan
          > > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
          > > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
          > > ===================================================================
          > >
          > > On 12/9/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Bartlett wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Jim
          > >>
          > >> Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching
          > >> genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.
          > >>
          > >> As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal
          > >> Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and
          > >> worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to
          > >> lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of
          > >> their features yet.
          > >>
          > >> I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen
          > >> shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common
          > >> Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.
          > >>
          > >> The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and
          > >> skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you
          > >> for providing this forum.
          > >>
          > >> Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!
          > >>
          > >> On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...
          > <mailto:jjlnv%40comcast.net>
          > >> <mailto:jjlnv%40comcast.net>> wrote:
          > >>
          > >>> Greetings:
          > >>>
          > >>> In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
          > >>> senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
          > >>> in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you
          > >> find
          > >>> relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
          > >>> is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
          > >>> trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
          > >>>
          > >>> I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
          > >>> comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
          > >>> example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
          > >>> someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
          > >>> Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my
          > >> subscription
          > >>> expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
          > >>> extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
          > >>> you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
          > >>> with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
          > >>> others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
          > >>>
          > >>> There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
          > >>> these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
          > >>> helping us getting started in using these resources.
          > >>>
          > >>> You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail
          > list
          > >>> for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
          > >>> welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
          > >>> glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
          > >>>
          > >>> This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
          > >>> future direction is largely up to you.
          > >>>
          > >>> Jim
          > >>>
          > >>> --
          > >>> ====================
          > >>> J. J. (Jim) Logan
          > >>> Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
          > >>> Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
          > >>> ============================
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > > ------------------------------------
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
          >
        • J. J. (Jim) Logan
          GenGen group. My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            GenGen group.

            My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to
            go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
            The Special Interest Group is for the benefit of its members and your
            input is appropriate.

            Jim

            ====================
            J. J. (Jim) Logan
            Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
            Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
            ===================================================================
          • Bob Epp
            Jim: I like the direction that you are going!  Keep up the good work. I have been trying to get Paul Svercl on your distro list; please add him from the above
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
            • 0 Attachment

              Jim:

               

              I like the direction that you are going!  Keep up the good work.

               

              I have been trying to get Paul Svercl on your distro list; please add him from the above address line!



              Bob Epp
              Epp Surname Researcher
              DNA Project: www.ftdna.com
              703-475-6233



              From: "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...>
              To: GenGen-NV@yahoogroups.com
              Sent: Monday, December 24, 2012 4:14:50 PM
              Subject: Re: [GenGen-NV] Back to genealogy

               

              GenGen group.

              My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to
              go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
              The Special Interest Group is for the benefit of its members and your
              input is appropriate.

              Jim

              ====================
              J. J. (Jim) Logan
              Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
              Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
              ===================================================================

            • J. J. (Jim) Logan
              Thanks for the endorsement, Bob. I know you moved away from us, but you are welcome back to our meetings any time. Jim ==================== J. J. (Jim) Logan
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                Thanks for the endorsement, Bob. I know you moved away from us, but you
                are welcome back to our meetings any time.

                Jim

                ====================
                J. J. (Jim) Logan
                Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
                ===================================================================

                On 12/24/2012 4:18 PM, Bob Epp wrote:
                >
                > Jim:
                >
                > I like the direction that you are going! Keep up the good work.
                >
                > I have been trying to get Paul Svercl on your distro list; please add
                > him from the above address line!
                >
                >
                >
                > Bob Epp
                > Epp Surname Researcher
                > DNA Project: www.ftdna.com
                > 703-475-6233
                >
                >
                > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                > *From: *"J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...>
                > *To: *GenGen-NV@yahoogroups.com
                > *Sent: *Monday, December 24, 2012 4:14:50 PM
                > *Subject: *Re: [GenGen-NV] Back to genealogy
                >
                > GenGen group.
                >
                > My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to
                > go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
                > The Special Interest Group is for the benefit of its members and your
                > input is appropriate.
                >
                > Jim
                >
                > ====================
                > J. J. (Jim) Logan
                > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
                > ===================================================================
                >
                >
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.