RE: [GenGen-NV] Back to genealogy

  • Lewis Townsend
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012

      I’ve not be active, maybe next summer.

      But I’d like a copy of the handouts, too.

      Thanks

      Lew

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
        Jim:

        I have Nell Hurley making a presentation on January 2 on a surname
        project. Bob McLaren is now scheduled to do a walk through of
        Ancestry.com on March 6. This leaves open February 6. Perhaps you could
        lead a discussion of atDNA at Ancestry on that date as a transition
        between your December presentation and Bob's Ancestry presentation. This
        could also permit follow up questions from last meeting. Then in May
        and June we could finish the program year with GEDmatch and FamilySearch.

        On 12/9/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Bartlett wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
        > > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
        > > helping us getting started in using these resources.
        > >
        > > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
        > > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
        > > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
        > > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
        > >
        > > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
        > > future direction is largely up to you.
        > >
        > > Jim
        > >
        > > --
        > > ====================
        > > J. J. (Jim) Logan
        > > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
        > > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo

      • Jim Bartlett
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
          I'd be happy to - got it on my calendar

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
            Thanks.

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
              Jim:

              I have given more thought to our GenGen program schedule and have
              suggestion/requests.

              I expect Bob's discussion to be primarily on the various databases of
              Ancestry.com and very little on the DNA features. That is one reason I
              suggested you step in the breach and do something on DNA at Ancestry.

              In addition being a transition, I suggested that your discussion could
              permit time for followon questions from your December presentation.

              Rather than a lecture in November,I conducted more of a workshop Y-DNA
              and did everything live on the Internet. It was purposefully very
              elementary for some of our members who have been askingfor such a
              presentation. Although I had a plan available but did not use any
              handouts, but rather just went along with questions. I just logged on
              to my personal account and looked at the various features while
              explaining the details. For example, I explained haplotype and then
              went into what an STR was and associated complications. I sent into
              haplotree explaining what a SNP was. I stayed on each feature until
              either the questions ran out or a question lead us to another feature.
              I got several expressions of appreciation, especially from those who had
              been asking for beginner sessions. I have ask Bob to do a similar
              presentation of using the databases of Ancestry.com

              In December you presented a well received presentation of using the
              results of autosomal tests, but did not discuss the interfaces to the
              autosomal data itself. I have made such presentations in the past, but
              not as a workshop. Perhaps, you could do a workshop on accessing the
              autosomal data. We don't need as muc background as you presented in
              December, but start by simply logging into an account and start
              accessing data, explaining what you find. As I told Bob, I would be
              glad to expose my account and would even do the keyboarding you you can
              just talkand tell me what feature to go to next. I now have autosomal
              data at 12aandMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry, but Iam still learning. (For
              years, I have concentrated in developing phylogenies and doing other
              basic research for mtDNA Haplogroup J and Tand have neglected my own
              geneaology. I just getting back to it.)

              What to you think?

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                GenGen group.

                My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to
                go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
                The Special Interest Group is for the benefit of its members and your
                input is appropriate.

              • Bob Epp
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012

                  Jim:

                  I like the direction that you are going!  Keep up the good work.

                  I have been trying to get Paul Svercl on your distro list; please add him from the above address line!

                  Bob Epp
                  Epp Surname Researcher
                  DNA Project: www.ftdna.com
                  703-475-6233

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                    Thanks for the endorsement, Bob. I know you moved away from us, but you
                    are welcome back to our meetings any time.