Re: [GenGen-NV] Back to genealogy

  • Richard D. English
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012
      I absolutely would very much like a copy of each of the handouts.  Thanks, Richard

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012

        I’ve not be active, maybe next summer.

        But I’d like a copy of the handouts, too.

        Thanks

        Lew

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
          Jim:

          I have Nell Hurley making a presentation on January 2 on a surname
          project. Bob McLaren is now scheduled to do a walk through of
          Ancestry.com on March 6. This leaves open February 6. Perhaps you could
          lead a discussion of atDNA at Ancestry on that date as a transition
          between your December presentation and Bob's Ancestry presentation. This
          could also permit follow up questions from last meeting. Then in May
          and June we could finish the program year with GEDmatch and FamilySearch.

          On 12/9/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Bartlett wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
          > > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
          > > helping us getting started in using these resources.
          > >
          > > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
          > > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
          > > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
          > > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
          > >
          > > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
          > > future direction is largely up to you.
          > >
          > > Jim
          > >
          > > --
          > > ====================
          > > J. J. (Jim) Logan
          > > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
          > > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo

        • Jim Bartlett
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
            I'd be happy to - got it on my calendar

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                Jim:

                I have given more thought to our GenGen program schedule and have
                suggestion/requests.

                I expect Bob's discussion to be primarily on the various databases of
                Ancestry.com and very little on the DNA features. That is one reason I
                suggested you step in the breach and do something on DNA at Ancestry.

                In addition being a transition, I suggested that your discussion could
                permit time for followon questions from your December presentation.

                Rather than a lecture in November,I conducted more of a workshop Y-DNA
                and did everything live on the Internet. It was purposefully very
                elementary for some of our members who have been askingfor such a
                presentation. Although I had a plan available but did not use any
                handouts, but rather just went along with questions. I just logged on
                to my personal account and looked at the various features while
                explaining the details. For example, I explained haplotype and then
                went into what an STR was and associated complications. I sent into
                haplotree explaining what a SNP was. I stayed on each feature until
                either the questions ran out or a question lead us to another feature.
                I got several expressions of appreciation, especially from those who had
                been asking for beginner sessions. I have ask Bob to do a similar
                presentation of using the databases of Ancestry.com

                In December you presented a well received presentation of using the
                results of autosomal tests, but did not discuss the interfaces to the
                autosomal data itself. I have made such presentations in the past, but
                not as a workshop. Perhaps, you could do a workshop on accessing the
                autosomal data. We don't need as muc background as you presented in
                December, but start by simply logging into an account and start
                accessing data, explaining what you find. As I told Bob, I would be
                glad to expose my account and would even do the keyboarding you you can
                just talkand tell me what feature to go to next. I now have autosomal
                data at 12aandMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry, but Iam still learning. (For
                years, I have concentrated in developing phylogenies and doing other
                basic research for mtDNA Haplogroup J and Tand have neglected my own
                geneaology. I just getting back to it.)

                What to you think?

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                  GenGen group.

                  My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to
                  go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
                  The Special Interest Group is for the benefit of its members and your
                  input is appropriate.

                • Bob Epp
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012

                    Jim:

                    I like the direction that you are going!  Keep up the good work.

                    I have been trying to get Paul Svercl on your distro list; please add him from the above address line!

                    Bob Epp
                    Epp Surname Researcher
                    DNA Project: www.ftdna.com
                    703-475-6233

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                      Thanks for the endorsement, Bob. I know you moved away from us, but you
                      are welcome back to our meetings any time.