Re: [GenGen-NV] Back to genealogy

  • Richard D. English
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

      I planned to come to this meeting, but got tied up at work and could not leave early enough.

      The presentation you did with Cece at Houston was excellent too.  I almost attended it twice.

      Thanks, Richard

        Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

        As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

        I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

        The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

        Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

        On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

        > Greetings:
        >
        > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
        > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
        > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
        > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
        > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
        > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
        >
        > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
        > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
        > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
        > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
        > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
        > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
        > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
        > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
        > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
        > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
        >
        > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
        > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
        > helping us getting started in using these resources.
        >
        > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
        > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
        > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
        > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
        >
        > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
        > future direction is largely up to you.
        >
        > Jim
        >
        > --
        > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
        > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
        > ============================

      • Robert Warthen
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

          It would be nice to see the handouts from my end also.

          I also want to let everyone know from the DNA side, I have a web site where you can go to download a lot of the DNA data from Family Tree DNA and from 23andMe.  The data that will be available from these sites will grow as I continue to develop the web site, but if you want to check it out, it is at http://www.dnagedcom.com.  Also if you know anyone interested in developing tools for DNA and Genelogy, let me know.  I’d love to have some help.

          Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

          As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

          I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

          The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

          Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

          On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

          > Greetings:
          >
          > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
          > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
          > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
          > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
          > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
          > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
          >
          > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
          > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
          > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
          > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
          > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
          > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
          > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
          > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
          > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
          > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
          >
          > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
          > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
          > helping us getting started in using these resources.
          >
          > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
          > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
          > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
          > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
          >
          > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
          > future direction is largely up to you.
          >
          > Jim
          >
          > --
          > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
          > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
          > ============================

        • Bob Mclaren
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

            I also enjoyed your talk in Houston, plus I also missed this meeting.  Could I get a copy of the handouts too.

            Yours aye,

            Bob McLaren

            bobmclaren@...

            Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

            As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

            I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

            The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

            Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

            On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

            > Greetings:
            >
            > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
            > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
            > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
            > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
            > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
            > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
            >
            > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
            > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
            > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
            > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
            > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
            > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
            > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
            > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
            > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
            > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
            >
            > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
            > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
            > helping us getting started in using these resources.
            >
            > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
            > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
            > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
            > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
            >
            > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
            > future direction is largely up to you.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > --
            > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
            > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
            > ============================

          • Richard D. English

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012

                I’ve not be active, maybe next summer.

                But I’d like a copy of the handouts, too.

                Thanks

                Lew

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                  Jim:

                  I have Nell Hurley making a presentation on January 2 on a surname
                  project. Bob McLaren is now scheduled to do a walk through of
                  Ancestry.com on March 6. This leaves open February 6. Perhaps you could
                  lead a discussion of atDNA at Ancestry on that date as a transition
                  between your December presentation and Bob's Ancestry presentation. This
                  could also permit follow up questions from last meeting. Then in May
                  and June we could finish the program year with GEDmatch and FamilySearch.

                  On 12/9/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Bartlett wrote:

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                  > > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                  > > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                  > >
                  > > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                  > > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                  > > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                  > > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                  > >
                  > > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                  > > future direction is largely up to you.
                  > >
                  > > Jim
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > ====================
                  > > J. J. (Jim) Logan
                  > > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                  > > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo

                • Jim Bartlett
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                    I'd be happy to - got it on my calendar

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                      Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                        Jim:

                        I have given more thought to our GenGen program schedule and have
                        suggestion/requests.

                        I expect Bob's discussion to be primarily on the various databases of
                        Ancestry.com and very little on the DNA features. That is one reason I
                        suggested you step in the breach and do something on DNA at Ancestry.

                        In addition being a transition, I suggested that your discussion could
                        permit time for followon questions from your December presentation.

                        Rather than a lecture in November,I conducted more of a workshop Y-DNA
                        and did everything live on the Internet. It was purposefully very
                        elementary for some of our members who have been askingfor such a
                        presentation. Although I had a plan available but did not use any
                        handouts, but rather just went along with questions. I just logged on
                        to my personal account and looked at the various features while
                        explaining the details. For example, I explained haplotype and then
                        went into what an STR was and associated complications. I sent into
                        haplotree explaining what a SNP was. I stayed on each feature until
                        either the questions ran out or a question lead us to another feature.
                        I got several expressions of appreciation, especially from those who had
                        been asking for beginner sessions. I have ask Bob to do a similar
                        presentation of using the databases of Ancestry.com

                        In December you presented a well received presentation of using the
                        results of autosomal tests, but did not discuss the interfaces to the
                        autosomal data itself. I have made such presentations in the past, but
                        not as a workshop. Perhaps, you could do a workshop on accessing the
                        autosomal data. We don't need as muc background as you presented in
                        December, but start by simply logging into an account and start
                        accessing data, explaining what you find. As I told Bob, I would be
                        glad to expose my account and would even do the keyboarding you you can
                        just talkand tell me what feature to go to next. I now have autosomal
                        data at 12aandMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry, but Iam still learning. (For
                        years, I have concentrated in developing phylogenies and doing other
                        basic research for mtDNA Haplogroup J and Tand have neglected my own
                        geneaology. I just getting back to it.)

                        What to you think?

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                          GenGen group.

                          My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to
                          go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
                          The Special Interest Group is for the benefit of its members and your
                          input is appropriate.

                        • Bob Epp
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012

                            Jim:

                            I like the direction that you are going!  Keep up the good work.

                            I have been trying to get Paul Svercl on your distro list; please add him from the above address line!

                            Bob Epp
                            Epp Surname Researcher
                            DNA Project: www.ftdna.com
                            703-475-6233

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                              Thanks for the endorsement, Bob. I know you moved away from us, but you
                              are welcome back to our meetings any time.