Re: [GenGen-NV] Back to genealogy

  • Richard D. English
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

      One idea might be to talk about Elizabeth Shown Mills' FAN strategy.  I am currently trying to finish an article showing how that principle can be -- or in my case, is being -- applied to a family moving on the frontier.  But there is a genetic genealogy angle to it, since three of the four main characters have descendants who have been tested and match.  (The  fourth is probably their father.)  It would be several months before I  would be ready to do a presentation.

      I missed the last meeting despite my plans to come, because I had to work late.  My office is in Rosslyn, and I have to leave by 5 or 5:15 to make it out to the Gallows Road area.

      Richard

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

        I planned to come to this meeting, but got tied up at work and could not leave early enough.

        The presentation you did with Cece at Houston was excellent too.  I almost attended it twice.

        Thanks, Richard

        Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

        As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

        I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

        The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

        Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

        On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

        > Greetings:
        >
        > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
        > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
        > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
        > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
        > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
        > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
        >
        > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
        > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
        > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
        > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
        > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
        > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
        > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
        > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
        > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
        > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
        >
        > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
        > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
        > helping us getting started in using these resources.
        >
        > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
        > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
        > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
        > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
        >
        > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
        > future direction is largely up to you.
        >
        > Jim
        >
        > --
        > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
        > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
        > ============================

      • Jim Bartlett

          Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

          As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

          I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

          The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

          Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

          On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

          > Greetings:
          >
          > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
          > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
          > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
          > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
          > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
          > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
          >
          > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
          > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
          > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
          > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
          > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
          > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
          > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
          > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
          > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
          > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
          >
          > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
          > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
          > helping us getting started in using these resources.
          >
          > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
          > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
          > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
          > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
          >
          > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
          > future direction is largely up to you.
          >
          > Jim
          >
          > --
          > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
          > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
          > ============================

        • Robert Warthen
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

            It would be nice to see the handouts from my end also.

            I also want to let everyone know from the DNA side, I have a web site where you can go to download a lot of the DNA data from Family Tree DNA and from 23andMe.  The data that will be available from these sites will grow as I continue to develop the web site, but if you want to check it out, it is at http://www.dnagedcom.com.  Also if you know anyone interested in developing tools for DNA and Genelogy, let me know.  I’d love to have some help.

            Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

            As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

            I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

            The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

            Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

            On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

            > Greetings:
            >
            > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
            > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
            > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
            > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
            > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
            > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
            >
            > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
            > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
            > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
            > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
            > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
            > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
            > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
            > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
            > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
            > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
            >
            > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
            > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
            > helping us getting started in using these resources.
            >
            > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
            > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
            > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
            > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
            >
            > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
            > future direction is largely up to you.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > --
            > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
            > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
            > ============================

          • Bob Mclaren
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

              I also enjoyed your talk in Houston, plus I also missed this meeting.  Could I get a copy of the handouts too.

              Yours aye,

              Bob McLaren

              bobmclaren@...

              Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

              As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

              I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

              The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

              Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

              On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

              > Greetings:
              >
              > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
              > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
              > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
              > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
              > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
              > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
              >
              > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
              > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
              > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
              > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
              > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
              > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
              > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
              > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
              > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
              > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
              >
              > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
              > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
              > helping us getting started in using these resources.
              >
              > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
              > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
              > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
              > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
              >
              > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
              > future direction is largely up to you.
              >
              > Jim
              >
              > --
              > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
              > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
              > ============================

            • Richard D. English

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012

                  I’ve not be active, maybe next summer.

                  But I’d like a copy of the handouts, too.

                  Thanks

                  Lew

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                    Jim:

                    I have Nell Hurley making a presentation on January 2 on a surname
                    project. Bob McLaren is now scheduled to do a walk through of
                    Ancestry.com on March 6. This leaves open February 6. Perhaps you could
                    lead a discussion of atDNA at Ancestry on that date as a transition
                    between your December presentation and Bob's Ancestry presentation. This
                    could also permit follow up questions from last meeting. Then in May
                    and June we could finish the program year with GEDmatch and FamilySearch.

                    On 12/9/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Bartlett wrote:

> [...]
                    > >
                    > > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                    > > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                    > > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                    > >
                    > > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                    > > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                    > > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                    > > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                    > >
                    > > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                    > > future direction is largely up to you.
                    > >
                    > > Jim
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > ====================
                    > > J. J. (Jim) Logan
                    > > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                    > > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo

                  • Jim Bartlett
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                      I'd be happy to - got it on my calendar

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                        Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                          Jim:

                          I have given more thought to our GenGen program schedule and have
                          suggestion/requests.

                          I expect Bob's discussion to be primarily on the various databases of
                          Ancestry.com and very little on the DNA features. That is one reason I
                          suggested you step in the breach and do something on DNA at Ancestry.

                          In addition being a transition, I suggested that your discussion could
                          permit time for followon questions from your December presentation.

                          Rather than a lecture in November,I conducted more of a workshop Y-DNA
                          and did everything live on the Internet. It was purposefully very
                          elementary for some of our members who have been askingfor such a
                          presentation. Although I had a plan available but did not use any
                          handouts, but rather just went along with questions. I just logged on
                          to my personal account and looked at the various features while
                          explaining the details. For example, I explained haplotype and then
                          went into what an STR was and associated complications. I sent into
                          haplotree explaining what a SNP was. I stayed on each feature until
                          either the questions ran out or a question lead us to another feature.
                          I got several expressions of appreciation, especially from those who had
                          been asking for beginner sessions. I have ask Bob to do a similar
                          presentation of using the databases of Ancestry.com

                          In December you presented a well received presentation of using the
                          results of autosomal tests, but did not discuss the interfaces to the
                          autosomal data itself. I have made such presentations in the past, but
                          not as a workshop. Perhaps, you could do a workshop on accessing the
                          autosomal data. We don't need as muc background as you presented in
                          December, but start by simply logging into an account and start
                          accessing data, explaining what you find. As I told Bob, I would be
                          glad to expose my account and would even do the keyboarding you you can
                          just talkand tell me what feature to go to next. I now have autosomal
                          data at 12aandMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry, but Iam still learning. (For
                          years, I have concentrated in developing phylogenies and doing other
                          basic research for mtDNA Haplogroup J and Tand have neglected my own
                          geneaology. I just getting back to it.)

                          What to you think?

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                            GenGen group.

                            My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to
                            go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
                            The Special Interest Group is for the benefit of its members and your
                            input is appropriate.

                          • Bob Epp
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012

                              Jim:

                              I like the direction that you are going!  Keep up the good work.

                              I have been trying to get Paul Svercl on your distro list; please add him from the above address line!

                              Bob Epp
                              Epp Surname Researcher
                              DNA Project: www.ftdna.com
                              703-475-6233

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                                Thanks for the endorsement, Bob. I know you moved away from us, but you
                                are welcome back to our meetings any time.