Re: [GenGen-NV] Regular Monthly Meeting - Y-DNA testing, interpretation, and application to genealogy, 11/7/2012, 8:00 pm

  • Richard D. English
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 31, 2012
      Will be leaving for FTDNA's administrator's conference in Houston the next day but will try to attend this event.

      Date: Wednesday November 7, 2012
      Time: 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm
      Location: Library, Kilmer Middle School, Vienna, VA
      Notes: This meeting is specifically for those who have been asking for introductory sessions. For this meeting we will concentrate on Y-DNA and use on-line data to review the process of testing and interpretation of test results. We will also look as some actual examples and the application of Y-DNA to genealogy. There will be plenty of time to ask questions, no matter how elementary. As time permits we can also discuss more complex problems that attendees might be experiencing.

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012
        Greetings:

        In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
        senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
        in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
        relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
        is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
        trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.

        I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
        comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
        example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
        someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
        Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
        expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
        extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
        you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
        with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
        others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.

        There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
        these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
        helping us getting started in using these resources.

        You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
        for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
        welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
        glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.

        This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
        future direction is largely up to you.

      • Jim Bartlett
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

          Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

          As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

          I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

          The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

          Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

          On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

          > Greetings:
          >
          > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
          > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
          > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
          > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
          > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
          > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
          >
          > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
          > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
          > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
          > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
          > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
          > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
          > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
          > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
          > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
          > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
          >
          > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
          > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
          > helping us getting started in using these resources.
          >
          > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
          > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
          > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
          > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
          >
          > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
          > future direction is largely up to you.
          >
          > Jim
          >
          > --
          > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
          > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
          > ============================
        • Bob Mclaren
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

            I spend a lot of time on Ancestry.com and also on FamilySearch.  If you want, I will be glad to give a presentation of these two sites.

            Yours aye,

            Bob McLaren

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

              One idea might be to talk about Elizabeth Shown Mills' FAN strategy.  I am currently trying to finish an article showing how that principle can be -- or in my case, is being -- applied to a family moving on the frontier.  But there is a genetic genealogy angle to it, since three of the four main characters have descendants who have been tested and match.  (The  fourth is probably their father.)  It would be several months before I  would be ready to do a presentation.

              I missed the last meeting despite my plans to come, because I had to work late.  My office is in Rosslyn, and I have to leave by 5 or 5:15 to make it out to the Gallows Road area.

              Richard

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

                I planned to come to this meeting, but got tied up at work and could not leave early enough.

                The presentation you did with Cece at Houston was excellent too.  I almost attended it twice.

                Thanks, Richard

                Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

                As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

                I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

                The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

                Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

                On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

                > Greetings:
                >
                > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
                > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
                > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
                > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
                > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
                > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
                >
                > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
                > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
                > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
                > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
                > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
                > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
                > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
                > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
                > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
                > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
                >
                > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                >
                > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                >
                > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                > future direction is largely up to you.
                >
                > Jim
                >
                > --
                > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
                > ============================

              • Jim Bartlett

                  Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

                  As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

                  I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

                  The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

                  Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

                  On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings:
                  >
                  > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
                  > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
                  > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
                  > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
                  > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
                  > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
                  >
                  > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
                  > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
                  > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
                  > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
                  > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
                  > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
                  > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
                  > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
                  > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
                  > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
                  >
                  > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                  > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                  > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                  >
                  > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                  > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                  > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                  > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                  >
                  > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                  > future direction is largely up to you.
                  >
                  > Jim
                  >
                  > --
                  > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                  > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
                  > ============================

                • Robert Warthen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

                    It would be nice to see the handouts from my end also.

                    I also want to let everyone know from the DNA side, I have a web site where you can go to download a lot of the DNA data from Family Tree DNA and from 23andMe.  The data that will be available from these sites will grow as I continue to develop the web site, but if you want to check it out, it is at http://www.dnagedcom.com.  Also if you know anyone interested in developing tools for DNA and Genelogy, let me know.  I’d love to have some help.

                    Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

                    As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

                    I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

                    The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

                    Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

                    On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings:
                    >
                    > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
                    > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
                    > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
                    > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
                    > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
                    > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
                    >
                    > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
                    > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
                    > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
                    > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
                    > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
                    > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
                    > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
                    > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
                    > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
                    > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
                    >
                    > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                    > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                    > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                    >
                    > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                    > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                    > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                    > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                    >
                    > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                    > future direction is largely up to you.
                    >
                    > Jim
                    >
                    > --
                    > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                    > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
                    > ============================

                  • Bob Mclaren
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

                      I also enjoyed your talk in Houston, plus I also missed this meeting.  Could I get a copy of the handouts too.

                      Yours aye,

                      Bob McLaren

                      bobmclaren@...

                      Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

                      As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

                      I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

                      The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

                      Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

                      On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

                      > Greetings:
                      >
                      > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
                      > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
                      > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
                      > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
                      > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
                      > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
                      >
                      > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
                      > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
                      > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
                      > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
                      > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
                      > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
                      > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
                      > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
                      > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
                      > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
                      >
                      > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                      > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                      > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                      >
                      > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                      > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                      > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                      > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                      >
                      > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                      > future direction is largely up to you.
                      >
                      > Jim
                      >
                      > --
                      > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                      > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
                      > ============================

                    • Richard D. English

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012

                          I’ve not be active, maybe next summer.

                          But I’d like a copy of the handouts, too.

                          Thanks

                          Lew

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                            Jim:

                            I have Nell Hurley making a presentation on January 2 on a surname
                            project. Bob McLaren is now scheduled to do a walk through of
                            Ancestry.com on March 6. This leaves open February 6. Perhaps you could
                            lead a discussion of atDNA at Ancestry on that date as a transition
                            between your December presentation and Bob's Ancestry presentation. This
                            could also permit follow up questions from last meeting. Then in May
                            and June we could finish the program year with GEDmatch and FamilySearch.

                            On 12/9/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Bartlett wrote:

> [...]
                            > >
                            > > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                            > > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                            > > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                            > >
                            > > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                            > > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                            > > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                            > > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                            > >
                            > > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                            > > future direction is largely up to you.
                            > >
                            > > Jim
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > ====================
                            > > J. J. (Jim) Logan
                            > > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                            > > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo

                          • Jim Bartlett
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                              I'd be happy to - got it on my calendar

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                                Thanks.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                                  Jim:

                                  I have given more thought to our GenGen program schedule and have
                                  suggestion/requests.

                                  I expect Bob's discussion to be primarily on the various databases of
                                  Ancestry.com and very little on the DNA features. That is one reason I
                                  suggested you step in the breach and do something on DNA at Ancestry.

                                  In addition being a transition, I suggested that your discussion could
                                  permit time for followon questions from your December presentation.

                                  Rather than a lecture in November,I conducted more of a workshop Y-DNA
                                  and did everything live on the Internet. It was purposefully very
                                  elementary for some of our members who have been askingfor such a
                                  presentation. Although I had a plan available but did not use any
                                  handouts, but rather just went along with questions. I just logged on
                                  to my personal account and looked at the various features while
                                  explaining the details. For example, I explained haplotype and then
                                  went into what an STR was and associated complications. I sent into
                                  haplotree explaining what a SNP was. I stayed on each feature until
                                  either the questions ran out or a question lead us to another feature.
                                  I got several expressions of appreciation, especially from those who had
                                  been asking for beginner sessions. I have ask Bob to do a similar
                                  presentation of using the databases of Ancestry.com

                                  In December you presented a well received presentation of using the
                                  results of autosomal tests, but did not discuss the interfaces to the
                                  autosomal data itself. I have made such presentations in the past, but
                                  not as a workshop. Perhaps, you could do a workshop on accessing the
                                  autosomal data. We don't need as muc background as you presented in
                                  December, but start by simply logging into an account and start
                                  accessing data, explaining what you find. As I told Bob, I would be
                                  glad to expose my account and would even do the keyboarding you you can
                                  just talkand tell me what feature to go to next. I now have autosomal
                                  data at 12aandMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry, but Iam still learning. (For
                                  years, I have concentrated in developing phylogenies and doing other
                                  basic research for mtDNA Haplogroup J and Tand have neglected my own
                                  geneaology. I just getting back to it.)

                                  What to you think?

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                                    GenGen group.

                                    My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to
                                    go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
                                    The Special Interest Group is for the benefit of its members and your
                                    input is appropriate.

                                  • Bob Epp
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012

                                      Jim:

                                      I like the direction that you are going!  Keep up the good work.

                                      I have been trying to get Paul Svercl on your distro list; please add him from the above address line!

                                      Bob Epp
                                      Epp Surname Researcher
                                      DNA Project: www.ftdna.com
                                      703-475-6233

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                                        Thanks for the endorsement, Bob. I know you moved away from us, but you
                                        are welcome back to our meetings any time.