Regular Monthly Meeting - Y-DNA testing, interpretation, and application to genealogy, 11/7/2012, 8:00 pm

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 31, 2012

      Title: Regular Monthly Meeting - Y-DNA testing, interpretation, and application to genealogy

      Date: Wednesday November 7, 2012
      Time: 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm
      Location: Library, Kilmer Middle School, Vienna, VA
      Notes: This meeting is specifically for those who have been asking for introductory sessions. For this meeting we will concentrate on Y-DNA and use on-line data to review the process of testing and interpretation of test results. We will also look as some actual examples and the application of Y-DNA to genealogy. There will be plenty of time to ask questions, no matter how elementary. As time permits we can also discuss more complex problems that attendees might be experiencing.

    • Richard D. English
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 31, 2012
        Will be leaving for FTDNA's administrator's conference in Houston the next day but will try to attend this event.

        Title: Regular Monthly Meeting - Y-DNA testing, interpretation, and application to genealogy

        Date: Wednesday November 7, 2012
        Time: 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012
          Greetings:

          In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
          senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
          in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
          relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
          is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
          trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.

          I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
          comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
          example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
          someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
          Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
          expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
          extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
          you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
          with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
          others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.

          There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
          these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
          helping us getting started in using these resources.

          You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
          for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
          welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
          glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.

          This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
          future direction is largely up to you.

        • Jim Bartlett
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

            Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

            As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

            I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

            The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

            Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

            On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

            > Greetings:
            >
            > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
            > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
            > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
            > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
            > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
            > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
            >
            > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
            > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
            > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
            > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
            > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
            > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
            > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
            > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
            > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
            > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
            >
            > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
            > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
            > helping us getting started in using these resources.
            >
            > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
            > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
            > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
            > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
            >
            > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
            > future direction is largely up to you.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > --
            > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
            > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
            > ============================
          • Bob Mclaren
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

              I spend a lot of time on Ancestry.com and also on FamilySearch.  If you want, I will be glad to give a presentation of these two sites.

              Yours aye,

              Bob McLaren

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

                One idea might be to talk about Elizabeth Shown Mills' FAN strategy.  I am currently trying to finish an article showing how that principle can be -- or in my case, is being -- applied to a family moving on the frontier.  But there is a genetic genealogy angle to it, since three of the four main characters have descendants who have been tested and match.  (The  fourth is probably their father.)  It would be several months before I  would be ready to do a presentation.

                I missed the last meeting despite my plans to come, because I had to work late.  My office is in Rosslyn, and I have to leave by 5 or 5:15 to make it out to the Gallows Road area.

                Richard

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

                  I planned to come to this meeting, but got tied up at work and could not leave early enough.

                  The presentation you did with Cece at Houston was excellent too.  I almost attended it twice.

                  Thanks, Richard

                  Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

                  As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

                  I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

                  The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

                  Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

                  On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings:
                  >
                  > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
                  > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
                  > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
                  > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
                  > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
                  > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
                  >
                  > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
                  > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
                  > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
                  > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
                  > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
                  > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
                  > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
                  > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
                  > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
                  > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
                  >
                  > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                  > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                  > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                  >
                  > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                  > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                  > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                  > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                  >
                  > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                  > future direction is largely up to you.
                  >
                  > Jim
                  >
                  > --
                  > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                  > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
                  > ============================

                • Jim Bartlett

                    Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

                    As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

                    I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

                    The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

                    Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

                    On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings:
                    >
                    > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
                    > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
                    > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
                    > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
                    > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
                    > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
                    >
                    > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
                    > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
                    > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
                    > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
                    > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
                    > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
                    > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
                    > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
                    > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
                    > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
                    >
                    > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                    > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                    > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                    >
                    > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                    > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                    > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                    > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                    >
                    > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                    > future direction is largely up to you.
                    >
                    > Jim
                    >
                    > --
                    > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                    > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
                    > ============================

                  • Robert Warthen
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

                      It would be nice to see the handouts from my end also.

                      I also want to let everyone know from the DNA side, I have a web site where you can go to download a lot of the DNA data from Family Tree DNA and from 23andMe.  The data that will be available from these sites will grow as I continue to develop the web site, but if you want to check it out, it is at http://www.dnagedcom.com.  Also if you know anyone interested in developing tools for DNA and Genelogy, let me know.  I’d love to have some help.

                      Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

                      As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

                      I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

                      The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

                      Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

                      On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

                      > Greetings:
                      >
                      > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
                      > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
                      > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
                      > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
                      > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
                      > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
                      >
                      > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
                      > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
                      > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
                      > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
                      > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
                      > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
                      > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
                      > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
                      > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
                      > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
                      >
                      > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                      > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                      > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                      >
                      > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                      > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                      > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                      > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                      >
                      > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                      > future direction is largely up to you.
                      >
                      > Jim
                      >
                      > --
                      > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                      > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
                      > ============================

                    • Bob Mclaren
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012

                        I also enjoyed your talk in Houston, plus I also missed this meeting.  Could I get a copy of the handouts too.

                        Yours aye,

                        Bob McLaren

                        bobmclaren@...

                        Thanks for the kind words. It appears my goal of reaching genealogists, without needing much biology, is beginning to take shape.

                        As I indicated in my talk, I have about 500 additional autosomal Matches at GEDmatch. I have used several of their utilities, and worked out several download processes using their data. I'd be glad to lead, or help, with a presentation on GEDmatch. I haven't used all of their features yet.

                        I've also tested autosomal DNA at Ancestry. I can make some screen shots and go over their process (very good tools to find Common Ancestors; but NO DNA data). I could talk/help on AncesrtyDNA too.

                        The important thing is for genealogists to become comfortable and skilled using the DNA tools - it will help us all. So thanks to you for providing this forum.

                        Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

                        On Dec 9, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "J. J. (Jim) Logan" <jjlnv@...> wrote:

                        > Greetings:
                        >
                        > In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
                        > senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
                        > in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
                        > relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
                        > is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
                        > trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.
                        >
                        > I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
                        > comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
                        > example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
                        > someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
                        > Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
                        > expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
                        > extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
                        > you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
                        > with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
                        > others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.
                        >
                        > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                        > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                        > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                        >
                        > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                        > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                        > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                        > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                        >
                        > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                        > future direction is largely up to you.
                        >
                        > Jim
                        >
                        > --
                        > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                        > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo
                        > ============================

                      • Richard D. English

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012

                            I’ve not be active, maybe next summer.

                            But I’d like a copy of the handouts, too.

                            Thanks

                            Lew

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                              Jim:

                              I have Nell Hurley making a presentation on January 2 on a surname
                              project. Bob McLaren is now scheduled to do a walk through of
                              Ancestry.com on March 6. This leaves open February 6. Perhaps you could
                              lead a discussion of atDNA at Ancestry on that date as a transition
                              between your December presentation and Bob's Ancestry presentation. This
                              could also permit follow up questions from last meeting. Then in May
                              and June we could finish the program year with GEDmatch and FamilySearch.

                              On 12/9/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Bartlett wrote:

> [...]
                              > >
                              > > There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
                              > > these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
                              > > helping us getting started in using these resources.
                              > >
                              > > You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
                              > > for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
                              > > welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
                              > > glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.
                              > >
                              > > This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
                              > > future direction is largely up to you.
                              > >
                              > > Jim
                              > >
                              > > --
                              > > ====================
                              > > J. J. (Jim) Logan
                              > > Group Administrator, J-mtDNA and Logan DNA Projects at FTDNA
                              > > Moderator, J-mtDNA and GenGen-NV Discussion Groups on Yahoo

                            • Jim Bartlett
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                                I'd be happy to - got it on my calendar

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 17, 2012
                                  Thanks.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                                    Jim:

                                    I have given more thought to our GenGen program schedule and have
                                    suggestion/requests.

                                    I expect Bob's discussion to be primarily on the various databases of
                                    Ancestry.com and very little on the DNA features. That is one reason I
                                    suggested you step in the breach and do something on DNA at Ancestry.

                                    In addition being a transition, I suggested that your discussion could
                                    permit time for followon questions from your December presentation.

                                    Rather than a lecture in November,I conducted more of a workshop Y-DNA
                                    and did everything live on the Internet. It was purposefully very
                                    elementary for some of our members who have been askingfor such a
                                    presentation. Although I had a plan available but did not use any
                                    handouts, but rather just went along with questions. I just logged on
                                    to my personal account and looked at the various features while
                                    explaining the details. For example, I explained haplotype and then
                                    went into what an STR was and associated complications. I sent into
                                    haplotree explaining what a SNP was. I stayed on each feature until
                                    either the questions ran out or a question lead us to another feature.
                                    I got several expressions of appreciation, especially from those who had
                                    been asking for beginner sessions. I have ask Bob to do a similar
                                    presentation of using the databases of Ancestry.com

                                    In December you presented a well received presentation of using the
                                    results of autosomal tests, but did not discuss the interfaces to the
                                    autosomal data itself. I have made such presentations in the past, but
                                    not as a workshop. Perhaps, you could do a workshop on accessing the
                                    autosomal data. We don't need as muc background as you presented in
                                    December, but start by simply logging into an account and start
                                    accessing data, explaining what you find. As I told Bob, I would be
                                    glad to expose my account and would even do the keyboarding you you can
                                    just talkand tell me what feature to go to next. I now have autosomal
                                    data at 12aandMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry, but Iam still learning. (For
                                    years, I have concentrated in developing phylogenies and doing other
                                    basic research for mtDNA Haplogroup J and Tand have neglected my own
                                    geneaology. I just getting back to it.)

                                    What to you think?

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                                      GenGen group.

                                      My last email was meant to be private to Jim Bartlett; I did mean it to
                                      go public. But now that it did, comments from other members are welcome.
                                      The Special Interest Group is for the benefit of its members and your
                                      input is appropriate.

                                    • Bob Epp
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012

                                        Jim:

                                        I like the direction that you are going!  Keep up the good work.

                                        I have been trying to get Paul Svercl on your distro list; please add him from the above address line!

                                        Bob Epp
                                        Epp Surname Researcher
                                        DNA Project: www.ftdna.com
                                        703-475-6233

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 24, 2012
                                          Thanks for the endorsement, Bob. I know you moved away from us, but you
                                          are welcome back to our meetings any time.