Re: [GenGen-NV] FTDNA Null values

  • sidneysachs@juno.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012

      Bill Howard <weh8@...> wrote "FTDNA is not doing us a service by grouping markers in a single column -- it makes input to my Mathematica tree-making program much more difficult. Many have written to FTDNA requesting separate columns for the markers, but that problem persists."

      The way I handled this is download the file in "csv" format and not "excell" format.  Using an editor on the csv file, do a replace all from a {-} to {","} and then save.  Then excell or any other spreadsheet can read this file.  The only trouble I have is when someone have more than 4 copies of DYS 464.  It add additional cell in that row and then I do a cut and paste to move the values of the later markers.

      SIdney Sachs

      Woman is 53 But Looks 25
      ConsumerLifestyleMag.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
        Sidney:

        Please take us through it a little slower. If I have a page of Y-DNA
        Results showing from my FTDNA Gap, how do I same it in .csv format?

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
          From the GAP program, under PROJECT ADMINISTRATION, click on "Download Files".  It would like about a dozen and half different reports that can be downloaded in either "CVS" or "EXCELL" formats.  For genetic reports there are mtDNA, Y-DNA Classic or Colorized or standard, and Y-DNA SNP.

          Please take us through it a little slower. If I have a page of Y-DNA
          Results showing from my FTDNA Gap, how do I same it in .csv format?

          On 9/9/2012 11:58 AM, sidneysachs@... wrote:

          > Bill Howard <weh8@...> wrote "FTDNA is not doing us a service
          > by grouping markers in a single column -- it makes input to my
          > Mathematica tree-making program much more difficult. Many have written
          > to FTDNA requesting separate columns for the markers, but that problem
          > persists."
          > The way I handled this is download the file in "csv" format and not
          > "excell" format. Using an editor on the csv file, do a replace all
          > from a {-} to {","} and then save. Then excell or any other
          > spreadsheet can read this file. The only trouble I have is when
          > someone have more than 4 copies of DYS 464. It add additional cell in
          > that row and then I do a cut and paste to move the values of the later
          > markers.
          > SIdney Sachs

          > *Woman is 53 But Looks 25*
          > <http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/504cbd13a92713d137793st04vuc>ConsumerLifestyleMag.com
          > <http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/504cbd13a92713d137793st04vuc>

          Woman is 57 But Looks 27
          ConsumerLifestyles.org
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
            Thanks Sidney. I had been doing a copy and paste and was not aware of
            this download capability.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
              This also assumes there are no hyphens in the descriptive fields. In
              the Logan DNA project many of our Paternal Ancester Name fields include
              a range of dates (e.g., 1802-1877) corresponding to birth and death
              years. These hyphens results is misalignment of the fields.