FTDNA Null values

  • Bill Howard
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
      Kevin Campbell wrote me an off-line email about the zero marker situation, making a suggestion that a note should be written to Bennett Greenspan to make sure that he knows that the zero-markers they report is a systematic problem that he should look into.

      I have been suggesting to Bennett that he should offer a dated phylogenetic tree along with FTDNA's probability calls to people who are tested via Y-DNA at FTDNA. I fear I may have turned him off, although I grouped his Greenspan results in clusters and dates, both of which he agrees with. If he were to charge extra for it, Greenspan would make more money and give more worthwhile relationship information on a testee's surname group than he is giving now. It would remove much confusion on the part of testees who cannot now interpret their results.

      FTDNA is not doing us a service by grouping markers in a single column -- it makes input to my Mathematica tree-making program much more difficult. Many have written to FTDNA requesting separate columns for the markers, but that problem persists.

      Now they have the zero-value problem. If they say it's a bad upload, how much can we trust the other values, which probably also must be uploaded? This looks like a serious credibility problem.

      - Bye from Bill Howard
    • sidneysachs@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012

        Bill Howard <weh8@...> wrote "FTDNA is not doing us a service by grouping markers in a single column -- it makes input to my Mathematica tree-making program much more difficult. Many have written to FTDNA requesting separate columns for the markers, but that problem persists."

        The way I handled this is download the file in "csv" format and not "excell" format.  Using an editor on the csv file, do a replace all from a {-} to {","} and then save.  Then excell or any other spreadsheet can read this file.  The only trouble I have is when someone have more than 4 copies of DYS 464.  It add additional cell in that row and then I do a cut and paste to move the values of the later markers.

        SIdney Sachs

        Woman is 53 But Looks 25
        ConsumerLifestyleMag.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
          Sidney:

          Please take us through it a little slower. If I have a page of Y-DNA
          Results showing from my FTDNA Gap, how do I same it in .csv format?

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
            From the GAP program, under PROJECT ADMINISTRATION, click on "Download Files".  It would like about a dozen and half different reports that can be downloaded in either "CVS" or "EXCELL" formats.  For genetic reports there are mtDNA, Y-DNA Classic or Colorized or standard, and Y-DNA SNP.

            Please take us through it a little slower. If I have a page of Y-DNA
            Results showing from my FTDNA Gap, how do I same it in .csv format?

            On 9/9/2012 11:58 AM, sidneysachs@... wrote:

            > Bill Howard <weh8@...> wrote "FTDNA is not doing us a service
            > by grouping markers in a single column -- it makes input to my
            > Mathematica tree-making program much more difficult. Many have written
            > to FTDNA requesting separate columns for the markers, but that problem
            > persists."
            > The way I handled this is download the file in "csv" format and not
            > "excell" format. Using an editor on the csv file, do a replace all
            > from a {-} to {","} and then save. Then excell or any other
            > spreadsheet can read this file. The only trouble I have is when
            > someone have more than 4 copies of DYS 464. It add additional cell in
            > that row and then I do a cut and paste to move the values of the later
            > markers.
            > SIdney Sachs

            > *Woman is 53 But Looks 25*
            > <http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/504cbd13a92713d137793st04vuc>ConsumerLifestyleMag.com
            > <http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/504cbd13a92713d137793st04vuc>

            Woman is 57 But Looks 27
            ConsumerLifestyles.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
              Thanks Sidney. I had been doing a copy and paste and was not aware of
              this download capability.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
                This also assumes there are no hyphens in the descriptive fields. In
                the Logan DNA project many of our Paternal Ancester Name fields include
                a range of dates (e.g., 1802-1877) corresponding to birth and death
                years. These hyphens results is misalignment of the fields.