Null values in reporting results of Y-DNA tests. Experience of others?

  • Bill Howard
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2012
      One of our members had FTDNA upgrade a kit from 25 to 37 markers using a decade-old sample. Null values were returned for CDY and for DYS438. (Expected values were about 34-36 and 12.) FTDNA's FAQs state these null values "may be an actual deletion of the entire STR. It may also be caused by a change in DNA values such that the primer does not work. [...] Mutations causing null values are infrequent."

      Having three null values, that is, three 'infrequent mutations," since the Revolution seems odd. The member wonders if the aging sample has degraded, and if it would be appropriate to ask FTDNA to collect (at their expense) a new specimen from this participant.

      The member asked FTDNA about this oddity; the response was, "Thank you for bring this issue to our attention. Our IT department is currently investigating the possibility of an upload error. We hope to upload the corrected allele values shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience, and certainly appreciate your patience."

      Has anyone else experienced similar "upload errors"?
    • Bob Mclaren
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2012

        Bill,

        For about a week there have been a number of upload errors.  One of these was a 0-0 for CDYa and b, plus one null.

        Yours aye,

        Bob

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2012

          The Krueger deepclade test I paid for last spring was on a decade-old sample. They sent out a fresh kit because they couldn’t get the info from the one they were supposedly preserving. My problem was that they sent the kit to my male cousin who had volunteered the original sample for me. without notice to me & with no explanation to him as to why they were demanding his DNA. Of course he did not comply. Who would under such circumstances?

          Linda

[...]

          No virus found in this message.