Forwarded not from Whit after Wednesday presetnation

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2008
      Whit Athey wrote:

      Dear Jim,

      I enjoyed meeting with you and your colleagues last evening.  I appreciated especially the discussion that followed my presentation.

      In the presentation, I noted that I had asked an amateur expert in the R1b part of the tree for information about his recent discoveries, but unfortunately, the detailed reply from him reached my inbox about a half-hour after I left to drive down there.  Since there may be more interest in this part of the tree than those I talked about, I thought I would provide a brief summary here, just in case a similar discussion on the Rootsweb list might have been overlooked.  I would appreciate it if you would forward this to the members who attended last evening.

      Gareth Henson, David Wilson, and Ann Turner found some interesting SNP differences from the deCodeMe set in several R1b testees.  Comparisons to G SNP sets such as mine showed them which were the ancestral and derived bases on these.  They were able to identify M222 and S21/U106 in the data, but a third SNP, rs34276300, seemed new and quite interesting.  Ethnoancestry and FTDNA quickly developed tests, now called S116 at EA and just rs34276300 at FTDNA (apparently awaiting an official recognition and dubbing by Hammer).  S116 appears to unite most of the subgroups of R1b-M269 other than R1b-S21/U106, so it makes for a major subdivision of R1b.  The remaining R1b people, those not under S21/U106 or S116, form a small but significant minority of European R1b's - Vince Vizachero is the leading amateur researcher on this aspect and has collected data from several different ancestral lines which I don't believe is matched by any data held by academic researchers.

      Whit

      --
      ====
      J. J. (Jim) Logan