Re: Building family trees: Merging genetic and genalogical data., 12/7/2

  • Bill Howard
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hi, Jim,

      How about sending me your 104 unsorted Y-DNA haplotypes and I will run my RCC correlation procedure to produce the RCC matrix as well as a time-calibrated phylogenetic tree?
      Then we can compare the results and the group can discuss the differences we find and possible reasons for those differences.
      This will be an interesting exercise if you are willing to do it.

      Ideally I would like to get the haplotypes ASAP in an Excel spreadsheet with the following format, but if it is too much for you to do, I will try to do it myself.

      Put Kit No in Column A
      Put any other indicator in Column B - your choice
      Put haplotype strings in Columns C to AM
      Other than Cols A and B, leave rows 1 and 2 blank
      Insert testee results in rows down the page. The order of the haplotypes does not matter.
      Insert your 104 testee results, row by row. (My approach can handle at least five time more than this)
      Don't enter rows that are not haplotypes
      The columns to the right of Column AM are not used by my program. You can further identify the haplotypes by inserting other information there -- country of ancestor, haplotype or group, your running identification, comments, etc.
      Send only 37 markers, in the same order as FTDNA reports them.
      Please also check and be sure that the values in the DYS column 389ii are in the high range, not the lower values that are sometimes reported.

      This promises to be a very interesting comparison.

      Thanks,

      - Bye from Bill Howard