      From: GenGen-NV@yahoogroups.com [mailto:GenGen-NV@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of J. J. (Jim) Logan
      Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2012 1:26 PM
      To: GenGen-NV@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [GenGen-NV] Back to genealogy

      Greetings:

      In most of our meetings, we have concentrated on the tools of gemetic
      senealogy and their application in various projects. As was emphasized
      in Jim Bartletts excellent briefing this week, these tools help you find
      relatives but generally do not tell you what the relationship actually
      is. You still have to use conventional genealogy to develop family
      trees and compare these trees to find specific common ancestors.

      I would like to schedule a series of meetings on the tools to help in
      comparing genealogies and would like your help as contributors. For
      example, I have never used GEDmatch and would be very appreciative if
      someone would volunteer to demonstrate its use and lead a discussion.
      Similarly, I am a former Ancestry.com subscriber but let my subscription
      expire several years age. They have extensive resources to help you
      extend you ancestry. Furthermore, have thousands of family trees that
      you can tap into to find common ancestors and/or cousins that can help
      with your research. I would appreciate a volunteer to lead me and
      others by the hand to make good use of Ancestry.com.

      There are, of course, many other examples. Please help me identify
      these resources, contribute you expertise (even if it is limited) in
      helping us getting started in using these resources.

      You are encourages to post your ideas and suggestions to this mail list
      for all to see and thus stimulate further discussion. You are also
      welcome to volunteer here and solicit collaborators. I would also be
      glad to correspond privately when that is appropriate.

      This group was established to be a cooperative self help group. Its
      future direction is largely up to you.