Re: Minor Annoyance with a Sram S7

    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 30, 2008
      Mike;

      I did a Google search on this and ran across reports of water in the
      control cable housing being the cause of this with Shimano hubs.

      Is this the first winter the S7 has seen? If not then a new cable
      and housing might be worth trying.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
      <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > Mike;
      >
      > Have you tried SRAM tech support or FAQ for this? IMO it could be
      the
      > external shift box, the shift operating shaft or the internal hub
      > mechanism. Is it more on up shifts, down shifts or both?
      >
      > One of the reasons I like the idea of the older oil lubed SA hubs
      and
      > the Rohloff. Greases tend to get too stiff in colder weather
      > conditions. Rohloff covers what to do in the way of thinning the
      lube
      > oil in cold conditions for their hubs.
      >
      > I am emailing SRAM tech support with your query.
      >
      > Rich Wood
      >

      > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bullis"
      > <workinonitstill@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This isn't a big deal but has me wondering what my best move
      should
      > be.
      > > With the temps now below freezing on my morning commute, I am
      > > experiencing sluggish shifting with my S7. I do not experience
      any
      > > problems on the return trip as the temps are well above freezing
      and
      > > the bike is stored in a heated(as such)shop. No doubt that it is
      > caused
      > > by viscous lubricant, I'm not sure what should be lubed with a
      > lighter
      > > oil.
      > >
      > > If this was SA hub, I wouldn't be asking.
      > >
      > > Mike

    • Mike Bullis
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 4, 2009
        Rich,

         I'm just guessing here, but I think some grease from the internals worked its way into the center of the axle through the key slot. Another reason to switch to oil lubrication.

        Mike

        I know you solved this but wondered about something. You mentioned
        finding that grease on the shift rod was hanging it up at cold
        temperatures and cleaning & oiling solved the problem. Any idea how
        the grease originally got there? I ask as the tech manual says the
        shifting shaft parts should be lightly oiled.