Track style "dropouts" and disc brakes.

  • Zack B
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2014
      Anyone using a set up like these:

      http://revomag.hu/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/On_One_Inbred_05.jpg

      http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs072/1102343283396/img/181.jpg

      Care to comment on:

      Do you have to re-adjust the disc brake every time you change a tire
      or tighten your chainline?

      How much of a pain-in-the ass is this?

      --
      -Zack
    • Alex Wetmore
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2014
        Those are cheap to make, which is why they are popular. An eccentric bottom bracket or sliding/pivoting dropout is a better design and easier to adjust. Rear facing track ends also make wheel removal with a full fender tough, you usually need to remove some of the fender hardware to get the necessary clearance. For a mountain bike that is not a concern, on a commuter or touring bike it is a hassle.

        On both of those you would need to adjust the caliper if you moved the wheel more than a couple of mm fore or aft. On a pivoting dropout the disk caliper moves with the dropout, so the caliper never needs to be adjusted. The dropout for either system is vertical, so fenders are easy to work with.

        I have 2 IGH bikes with EBBs, 2 with pivoting dropouts, and 1 with horizontal dropouts in my basement. I've owned two bikes with sliders, but don't have either of them anymore. I've owned 1 with track style ends (no disk caliper) and that was the most annoying to work with by far.

        alex
        Do you have to re-adjust the disc brake every time you change a tire
        or tighten your chainline?

        How much of a pain-in-the ass is this?

        --
        -Zack

        Yahoo Groups Links
      • palatine_ej
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2014
          One of your examples is a Surly track dropout, they have thousands of frames in production with that set up and most users don't have an issues.  In the case of an IGH, the chain sets the wheel position so the disc caliper is always in the same relative to the hub and all is good.  I have three different Surlys using track dropouts with disc and love them.  Simple and no creaking or slipping that eccentrics are famous for.