Contender #1 for the 8 speed quest.

  • A & T
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 20, 2009
      Today I recieved a email from my local Motobecane dealer and was told there will be a new offering on the street very soon.

      It is the 2010 Cafe Express 8

      8 speed Alfine

      No Suspension

      Looks pretty sweet.

      Priced around $600

      Downside....Not available for 2 more months...:(

      I posted a few pics.

      Tom
    • darolh
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 20, 2009
        Mongoose had one last year. It was called the Sabrosa Ocho. It was more of a commuter than the Motobecane looks to be. It seems to be more of a comfort bike type of thing.

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "A & T" <atgep@...> wrote:

        > Today I recieved a email from my local Motobecane dealer and was told there will be a new offering on the street very soon.
        >
        > It is the 2010 Cafe Express 8
        >
        > 8 speed Alfine
        >
        > No Suspension
        >
        > Looks pretty sweet.
        >
        > Priced around $600
        >

        > Downside....Not available for 2 more months...:(
        >
        > I posted a few pics.
        >
        > Tom

      • A & T
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 21, 2009
          I will keep that one on the short list.

          I have very unimpressed with Mongoose recently as they seem to be the same quality as the "next,pacific cycles,etc". I wonder if this one is any better in terms of quality.

          I am leaning more towards a comfort bike and really like the looks of the Moto. I hope the dealer can cut me a good price on one.
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 21, 2009
            I keep waiting for someone to offer a steel road or light touring bike with IGH at a reasonable price. Drop bars and either a bar end shifter or something like the Taiwanese brifter shown by Dtnamic.

            I am not impressed by the Dynamic 8 speed IGH drop bar bike as I have seen a MSRP of $1400 mentioned for the bike. That seems high for aluminum frame bike even with the srop bars and IGH brifter. The new Swobo Alfine hub 700c wheel bike looks nice but again is a aluminum frame.

            As of now this is a DIY (Do it yourself) project which can get expensive. Good candidate frames for such a setup appear to be the Surly Crosscheck or the Steelwool Tweed

            Rich Wood
          • Darol Hinton
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 21, 2009
              How about the Vassago Fisticuff?

              Less unused braze ons.

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 21, 2009
                My bad.  The fisticuff has braze ons for shifter cables too.

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 21, 2009
                  You need to watch as to which kind of Mongoose it is.  They have the "Walmart" version which is sold at big box stores etc. and the "real" bikes which are sold at bike shops.  The ones on their web site are the "real" bikes.

                  It really cheapens the brand having sub par stuff with one's brand name on it.  The up side is you can often get one of the good Mogooses (Mongeese?) used for a cut rate price because of the crummy ones flooding the used market seem to drive the price down.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 21, 2009
                    Darol;

                    I believe the others I mentioned do too. I had not heard of the Vassago Fisticuff before. Looks interesting. Being a traditionalist I kind of like the Steelwool Tweed frame as it is of more traditional lugged construction. I still think that a lugged steel frame is hard to beat for looks though I have seen some mighty nice fillet brazed custom steel frames too.

                    Rich Wood

                    --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Darol Hinton <darolh@...> wrote:

                    > My bad.  The fisticuff has braze ons for shifter cables too.

                  • Alan Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
                      Same is true for Schwinns - but, of course, they're now owned & made by Pacific (as well as Mongoose and others), too.

                      Alan Lloyd
                      Schaumburg, Illinois, USA

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
                        Pacific has been acquired by Dorel Industries, a Canadian company which also owns Cannondale.

                        Now we have Cannondale, Schwinn, GT, Mongoose and Sugoi with common ownership. Per a web article I found Pacific is acting as the Dorel subsidiary for the mass market bikes and Cannondale Sports Group will handle the LBS grade bikes.

                        How long I wonder before we see mass market bikes branded Cannondale?

                        Rich Wood

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
                          Darol;

                          I had not seen the Fisticuff, looks interesting. I believe the two I mentioned include shifter braze-ons too. I would rather have them and not need them than vice versa.

                          Personally I like the Tweed the best as it is lugged steel construction. I am old school enough so I still prefer the look of a lugged steel frame.

                          Rich Wood

                          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Darol Hinton <darolh@...> wrote:

                          > My bad.  The fisticuff has braze ons for shifter cables too.

                        • A & T
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
                            Cannondale will be foolish to sell out to Walmart and Target. I upsets me to see the garbage marketed by the prior greats. Why would anyone spend $500 on a schwinn when you can get one for $79.99. We know the difference but few do.

                            How is the overall quality of Motobecane? I am saving my pennies for the Cafe Express when it comes out in 60 long days!

                            Tom

                            PS. Thanks for all the advice.
                          • palatine_ej
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 23, 2009
                              www.bikeisland.com has several Motobecane cyclocross frames. I keep looking at the Motobecane Fantom Uno Frame Set. Steel frame (welded)fits 42mm tires with fenders, frame, fork, headset; $209 shipped:

                              http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1237
                            • palatine_ej
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 23, 2009
                                > Cannondale will be foolish to sell out to Walmart and Target. I upsets me to see the garbage marketed by the prior greats. Why would anyone spend $500 on a schwinn when you can get one for $79.99. We know the difference but few do.

                                In my opinion, it's two markets. Anyone that goes to Walmart for a bike isn't going to drop $500~$1000 at an LBS.

                                > How is the overall quality of Motobecane? I am saving my pennies for the Cafe Express when it comes out in 60 long days!

                                I have three of them, my son's ride 'em, and my commuter is a Motobecane 29er. Great quality, great geometery, well worth the price.
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 23, 2009
                                  Palatine;

                                  Very reasonable price if of decent quality. I note that in one spot they list dropout width as 120mm and another place it is listed as 125mm. Either way it will require cold setting if used with a Shimano, SRAM or Rohloff hub.

                                  Lots of interesting frames being mentioned in this thread.

                                  Rich Wood

                                  --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "palatine_ej" <danstrom@...> wrote:

                                  > www.bikeisland.com has several Motobecane cyclocross frames. I keep looking at the Motobecane Fantom Uno Frame Set. Steel frame (welded)fits 42mm tires with fenders, frame, fork, headset; $209 shipped:
                                  >
                                  > http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1237

                                • pdxrandonneur
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 1, 2009
                                    --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                                    > I keep waiting for someone to offer a steel road or light touring bike with IGH at a reasonable price. Drop bars and either a bar end shifter or something like the Taiwanese brifter shown by Dtnamic.
                                    >
                                    > I am not impressed by the Dynamic 8 speed IGH drop bar bike as I have seen a MSRP of $1400 mentioned for the bike. That seems high for aluminum frame bike even with the srop bars and IGH brifter. The new Swobo Alfine hub 700c wheel bike looks nice but again is a aluminum frame.
                                    >
                                    > As of now this is a DIY (Do it yourself) project which can get expensive. Good candidate frames for such a setup appear to be the Surly Crosscheck or the Steelwool Tweed
                                    >
                                    > Rich Wood

                                    The Fuji cambridge is lugged steel. The MSRP of $1200 is steep, but I have seen it at a local shop for $900.