Re: Rear Racks for Bikes Discussion

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 20, 2009
      Info for those who have a Topeak rack or would like to adapt Topeak accessories to another rack and have some mechanical ability.

      Per emailed info Topeak does offer both bag bottom plates and rack top channels as separate parts. The bag front clips which secure the bag to the front of the rack are also available.

      I am intending to adapt both a old milk crate and an ammo can to fit the Topeak racks via the bag bottom plates and front clips. Totally urban rat bike ;-)

      BTW the Civia Hyland rack front raised loop is the right height to work with the front clip on Topeak trunks. Older Topeak trunks with the velcro hold down pieces on the bag work well with the Civia rack even w/o the slide in channel on the rack. Too bad that Topeak has eliminated those from their current design rack trunks.

      It looks to me like this may also apply to the Surly rear rack based on the Surly rack tech drawing PDF I downloaded. If you look on the Surly web site they offer more tech information on their racks, including an installation manual, than I have seen for any other manufacturer. The Surly rear rack is heavy but seems to be both large and strong from reports I have seen and published dimensions.

      If anyone is interested I can provide the phone number for ordering the Topeak parts as I do not have the info in front of me at the moment.

      Rich Wood