Still no SRAM G8 owners on the list?

  • Zack B
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2014
      Did santa leave anyone a G8 under the tree?

      Has anyone actually ridden one at least?

      OK, look, we need someone to take one for the team and buy one.

      After it breaks you can send it to John for examination.

      It can't be THAT BAD, can it?

      --
      -Zack
    • Jeff Meredith
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2014
        I have the shifter only. It pulls cable to shift up in gear like a Nexus 8 instead of letting it out to shift up like the Sturmey Archer, and the cable connection is just like Shimano's.

        Not much to go on, but better than nothing...

        Jeff Meredith
        BOXKARS

        On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Zack B <zoombomber@...> wrote:

        Did santa leave anyone a G8 under the tree?

        Has anyone actually ridden one at least?

        OK, look, we need someone to take one for the team and buy one.

        After it breaks you can send it to John for examination.

        It can't be THAT BAD, can it?

        --
        -Zack

      • John S. Allen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2014
          SRAM has a track record of simple, rugged designs on the one hand and
          of over-engineered ones (Elan, i-Motion 9, clickbox and
          maintenance-unfriendly shifters) on the other. The G8 is probably a
          lot better than the i-Motion 9. From the photos linked here a while
          ago, it appears to be a simple, rugged design internally. And no
          plastic clickbox, either. But who knows...

          At 06:38 PM 1/7/2014, Zack B wrote:

          >Did santa leave anyone a G8 under the tree?
          >
          >Has anyone actually ridden one at least?
          >
          >OK, look, we need someone to take one for the team and buy one.
          >
          >After it breaks you can send it to John for examination.
          >
          >It can't be THAT BAD, can it?

          John S. Allen

          Technical Writer/Editor, http://sheldonbrown.com

          League Cycling Instructor #77-C

          jsallen *at* bikexprt.com
          http://bikexprt.com
          http://john-s-allen.com/blog
          http://bostonbiker.org/streetsmarts
        • John S. Allen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2014
            SRAM has a track record of simple rugged designs on the one hand and
            of over-engineered ones (Elan, i-Motion 9, clickbox and
            maintenance-unfriendly shifters)) on the other. The G8 is probably a
            lot better than the i-Motion 9. From the photos linked here a while
            ago, it appears to be a simple, rugged design internally. And no
            plastic clickbox, either. But who knows...

            At 06:38 PM 1/7/2014, Zack B wrote:

            >Did santa leave anyone a G8 under the tree?
            >
            >Has anyone actually ridden one at least?
            >
            >OK, look, we need someone to take one for the team and buy one.
            >
            >After it breaks you can send it to John for examination.
            >
            >It can't be THAT BAD, can it?

            John S. Allen

            Technical Writer/Editor, http://sheldonbrown.com

            League Cycling Instructor #77-C

            jsallen *at* bikexprt.com
            http://bikexprt.com
            http://john-s-allen.com/blog
            http://bostonbiker.org/streetsmarts
          • palatine_ej
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2014
              Universal has them in stock, use VIP10 (10% discount for less than $300) or VIP15 (15% discount for more than $300) for discount:
              http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=62828&category=2713

              I bought an i9 and I'm just not ready to try SRAM IGHs again, esp until I see one in person first.