Burley Trailer on Shimano Hub

  • planetaryfellow
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2013
      Hi Folks!

      So I have a problem at the shop. A customer has ordered two Nirve 3 speed coasterbrake cruisers, both with Shimano hubs. Then he picked up a Burley trailer and wants to attach it to either bike. However, the standard mount that comes with the Burley trailer won't fit well on the non-driveside axle because the yellow-non turn washer and the axles aren't too long to begin with. We are wary of axle extenders because of the extra leverage they will place on the hub while pulling the kids trailer. It appears that Burley also makes another mounting piece that would clamp the rear triangle of stays instead, but these frames are coaster-brake friendly and have a reactor-arm mount welded to them.

      Best,
      Thomas
    • planetaryfellow
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 22, 2013
        And just for some more info, here are the hitches Burley offers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2K8DerZu34&feature=youtu.be

        I'm interested in the classic hitch, but the concern is that it will not work with the coaster brake setup, especially because of integrated reactor arm mount.

        Any help would be great!
        Thomas
      • ttostrander
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 22, 2013
          Hi Thomas,

          Not sure how to mount a Burley but this is an alternative.  Good luck.  Thorsten

          http://www.en.tout-terrain.de/trailers/singletrailer/
        • Jim Avery
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2013

            On 22 Dec 2013 13:54, <canu.thomas@...> wrote:

            > Hi Folks!
            >
            > So I have a problem at the shop. A customer has ordered two Nirve 3 speed coasterbrake cruisers, both with Shimano hubs. Then he picked up a Burley trailer and wants to attach it to either bike.

            Hitch issues aside, is the coaster brake going to be man enough to operate safely with the extra weight of the trailer and children on board?

          • David Dannenberg
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 23, 2013
              I have a Burley with classic. It is more versatile than it may appear.

              Depending on the set-up of the reaction arm the Classic hitch may be fine. I think you need to just try it on the bikes in question.

              David
            • Zack B