Are these mounting points for a Shimano Roller Brake?

  • dannyrobinson1962
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2013
      This is a link to two photos of a front fork on a Puch Brilliant.

      Have a look at the red lined areas... are those mounting points for a Shimano roller brake?

      The bike is currently equipped with front rim brakes but I am considering building a new wheel for this bike, with a front roller brake. If these are mounting points, does it imply that all sizes of roller brake will fit these forks?
    • John S. Allen
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2013
        At 04:44 PM 11/5/2013, dannyrobinson1962@... wrote:

        This is a link to two photos of a front fork on a Puch Brilliant.

        https://plus.google.com/photos/110055669501444994025/albums/5942890653939099441?utm_source=chrome_ntp_icon&utm_medium=chrome_app&utm_campaign=chrome

        Have a look at the red lined areas... are those mounting points for a Shimano roller brake?

        Photos online show fender braces attached to these tabs, though some of the bikes also have a front Rollerbrake. As to how the reaction arm attaches to the fork blade, see Shimano documents linked at http://sheldonrown.com/rollerbrakes.html

        John S. Allen

        Technical Writer/Editor,  http://sheldonbrown.com

        League Cycling Instructor #77-C

        jsallen *at* bikexprt.com
        http://bikexprt.com
        http://john-s-allen.com/blog
        http://bostonbiker.org/streetsmarts

      • wahooncx
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2013

          The one on the left fork looks more like a disc brake mounting tab. I am away from my only roller equipped bike at the moment, but if memory serves me correctly the fitting is on the inside of the fork leg and is more of a loop shape. I will try and get a picture the end of this week when I get home.

          Aaron

          ---In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, <dannyrobinson1962@...> wrote:

          This is a link to two photos of a front fork on a Puch Brilliant.

          Have a look at the red lined areas... are those mounting points for a Shimano roller brake?

          The bike is currently equipped with front rim brakes but I am considering building a new wheel for this bike, with a front roller brake. If these are mounting points, does it imply that all sizes of roller brake will fit these forks?
        • Jeff Bertolet
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2013
            They are def. not roller brake mounts, but in case they are disc brake tabs, you can still fit a roller brake. Shimano now sells a roller brake for disc tab bikes
          • dannyrobinson1962
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2013

              Thanks everybody!

              The link John Allen shared should be as follows:

              http://sheldonbrown.com/rollerbrakes.html

              The page has been updated very recently with some content from the very interesting "Nexus Inter 3 (3R40) hub failures" thread.

              Danny