Tommy Godwin - Long Distance Legend website

  • prester_john_in_cathay
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2013
      Here:

      http://www.tommygodwin.com/

      In the UK during the 1930s, derailleur gear and hub gear bicycles were used by riders in the same competitions.  Modern era cyclists are always shocked to learn that by the start of WWII, hub gear riders had won all the races and held all the records.  The most remarkable of these cyclists was perhaps Mr. Godwin, who, in 1939, rode 75,065 miles, a record that stands to this day.  The last ~60,000 of those miles were ridden using a single Sturmey-Archer four speed hub.
    • paxrolfe
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2013

        That's pretty awesome. Tomorrow is my first group ride with my drop-bar 3 speed Raleigh Technium. We'll see how it stacks up against the carbon wunderbikes. Having commuted with the Raleigh the last couple weeks, I can say that I'm now hooked on IGH's. There's just something so "right" about it.

        ---In geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

        Here:

        http://www.tommygodwin.com/

        In the UK during the 1930s, derailleur gear and hub gear bicycles were used by riders in the same competitions.  Modern era cyclists are always shocked to learn that by the start of WWII, hub gear riders had won all the races and held all the records.  The most remarkable of these cyclists was perhaps Mr. Godwin, who, in 1939, rode 75,065 miles, a record that stands to this day.  The last ~60,000 of those miles were ridden using a single Sturmey-Archer four speed hub.
      • bnexus8
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2013

          "WHO ATE ALL THE PIES?

          Not Tommy – he became a lifelong vegetarian after a brief stint working at a Burslem pie-makers. What an advert for vegetarianism he could be today! "

          I am pleased to report that imo I am a much better advert for vegetarianism (and IGHs) without ever doing 200 plus miles in a day; I have made it to past 65!

          These hagiographic sites often worry me a little. How accurate is the information? I immediately spotted the 'hub dynamo' that is a tyre driven bottle dynamo, and there was something in the map that didn't ring true.

          I wonder how many miles he would have achieved on a modern bike?

          Still, an exceptional achievement however you view it.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2013

              Hi Prester J

              Where on earth did I say that I feel superior to Tommy G.? The man is an icon for long distance cyclists and maybe for vegetarians as well.

              I think you may find (click on Tutbury on the fan site route map) that Tommy died of an heart attack aged 63 after riding home from Tutbury Castle. Probably brought on by the admission charge rather than a road traffic accident, I shouldn't wonder.

              That area - Staffs. Moorlands bordering Derbyshire Peaks - is very similar in elevation to the Welsh border hills to the West of his house but less pretty, imo.

              As I said before, an exceptional achievement however you view it.