Yanked My Sachs Torpedo Shifter Cable - Won't Shift Correctly

  • Rob Halligan
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 23, 2013

      I lent my Sachs Torpedo 3-speed to a friend for the day. It came back with the shifter cable (jagwire) ripped out of the part that plastic part (the locating sleeve) that attaches to the indicator chain. Buddy says the cable got yanked when bike fell over. After crimping the cable back in, I can’t adjust the cable length to work in all 3 gears. Either it will shift to 1st and 2nd or to 2nd and 3rd. The indicator chain’s rod looks straight. I’ve had 2 excellent LBS mechanics confirm my symptoms.

      My thoughts on options are:

      1)      Pull the hub apart and look for damaged parts. Buy that/those part/parts from eBay (search for these parts), a German guy who has parts, or Aaron.

      2)      Buy a hub off eBay or German eBay and install it in my hub shell

      3)      Rig a new cable and see if that helps

      Do you have thoughts how to get it working or if one of my proposed options looks best? Would you know which part(s) might be damaged?

      Thanks in advance,

      Rob Halligan
      HalliganProjects.com

    • Irvine Short
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 24, 2013
        I am a rank amateur, but I would be surprised if the hub is damaged.

        If the cable is as tight as it will go you should be in first.

        Completely loose it should be in third.

        If the shifter no longer can take it from one extreme to the other then sure the shifter is damaged?

        On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Rob Halligan <rob@...> wrote:

[...]

      • RobHalligan

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 24, 2013
              Did you try taking the clamp/adjuster/cable off the indicator and just
              pulling the chain out of the hub in steps, to see whether the hub will
              shift correctly -- and so, the problem is only in the cable or shifter?

              On Thu, October 24, 2013 8:17 am, rob@... wrote:
              > Thanks Irivine - The shifter seems fine. It seems that the range of travel
              > the cable needs to make has increased, in that, it'll go into 1st and 2nd
              > at one cable tension but needs to be let out a few notches to get into
              > 3rd. For 3rd to work without everything else going bad it will only go
              > into 2nd and won't go into 1st.
              >
              > Rob Halligan
            • RobHalligan
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 24, 2013

                Will try both. Thanks. I'll report in the next day or 3.

                ---In geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, <jsallen@...> wrote:

                Did you try taking the clamp/adjuster/cable off the indicator and just
                pulling the chain out of the hub in steps, to see whether the hub will
                shift correctly -- and so, the problem is only in the cable or shifter?

                On Thu, October 24, 2013 8:17 am, rob@... wrote:
                > Thanks Irivine - The shifter seems fine. It seems that the range of travel
                > the cable needs to make has increased, in that, it'll go into 1st and 2nd
                > at one cable tension but needs to be let out a few notches to get into
                > 3rd. For 3rd to work without everything else going bad it will only go
                > into 2nd and won't go into 1st.
                >
                > Rob Halligan
              • dannyrobinson1962
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 13, 2013

                  Rob, have a look at my posts recently about a T3 that was not indexing properly. It seemed very similar to your own problem. I fixed it with a new cable and shifter. SRAM IGH parts aren't all that common in the UK, Sturmey Archer is much more popular here so sometimes you have to go with SA parts and adapt them if needs be. The SA cable set I got works just fine, but of course I kept with a SRAM shifter. Job completed for about £25 ($40).

                  ---In geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, <rob@...> wrote:

                  Will try both. Thanks. I'll report in the next day or 3.

                  ---In geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, <jsallen@...> wrote:

                  Did you try taking the clamp/adjuster/cable off the indicator and just
                  pulling the chain out of the hub in steps, to see whether the hub will
                  shift correctly -- and so, the problem is only in the cable or shifter?

                  On Thu, October 24, 2013 8:17 am, rob@... wrote:
                  > Thanks Irivine - The shifter seems fine. It seems that the range of travel
                  > the cable needs to make has increased, in that, it'll go into 1st and 2nd
                  > at one cable tension but needs to be let out a few notches to get into
                  > 3rd. For 3rd to work without everything else going bad it will only go
                  > into 2nd and won't go into 1st.
                  >
                  > Rob Halligan
                • RobHalligan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 9, 2014

                    Thanks all. The Sachs Torpedo problem shifting turned out to be a small bend in the indicator chain's pull rod. The indicator chain seemed to be travelling in and out properly. After swapping in a spare shifter and changing the cable didn't improve it, the indicator chain swap did it.

                    I've since swapped out the hub guts. If anything interesting comes of it, I'll start a new post. (I bought a "Sachs Spectro" labeled hub off eBay for $22 w/ shipping. I'd always been curious how my early 1980s Sachs Torpedo guts were holding up. They looked pretty good -- even after a strip-down. The Sachs Spectro's grease hadn’t spread around, so I suspect it'd never been ridden. I added some fresh grease and mounted it in the existing shell. The braking is definitely better, but I'm not sure if it's freewheeling  bit for 20 degrees of the power stroke.)

                    Rob Halligan

                    HalliganProjects.com

                  • John Allen
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 9, 2014
                      But just note that the Dualdrive 3 x 8 and 3 x
                      9's long pullrod intentionally has a slight
                      double bend, to keep it from rattling. Other long
                      rods also may have such a bend.

                      At 11:11 AM 7/9/2014, rob@... [Geared_hub_bikes] wrote:

                      >Thanks all. The Sachs Torpedo problem shifting
                      >turned out to be a small bend in the indicator
                      >chain's pull rod. The indicator chain seemed to
                      >be travelling in and out properly. After
                      >swapping in a spare shifter and changing the
                      >cable didn't improve it, the indicator chain swap did it.
                      >

                      >I've since swapped out the hub guts. If anything
                      >interesting comes of it, I'll start a new post.
                      >(I bought a "Sachs Spectro" labeled hub off eBay
                      >for $22 w/ shipping. I'd always been curious how
                      >my early 1980s Sachs Torpedo guts were holding
                      >up. They looked pretty good -- even after a
                      >strip-down. The Sachs Spectro's grease hadn’t
                      >spread around, so I suspect it'd never been
                      >ridden. I added some fresh grease and mounted it
                      >in the existing shell. The braking is definitely
                      >better, but I'm not sure if it's
                      >freewheeling bit for 20 degrees of the power stroke.)

                      John S. Allen

                      Technical Writer/Editor, http://sheldonbrown.com

                      League Cycling Instructor #77-C

                      jsallen *at* bikexprt.com