Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] SRAM i-motion 9 shifter needed

  • Jeff Meredith
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 14, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 32 KB
    On the I-motion 9, the hard part for adapting another shifter looked like SRAM's quick disconnect feature for the cable. I would be very interested to know if anyone has taken both sides of the quick connect apart and found a more conventional way to connect the cable to the hub. If that's possible, as Aaron mentioned, we can definitely build a shifter for it that will outlast the original. The quirky jumps in pull between gears can be matched by the index plate rather easily.  I've attached a CAD image that's close to what our Commuter / MTB shifter will look like, so don't be put off by the cruiser line we have at www.hotrodbicycles.com  (the website is getting more inclusive as well). Note that it will clamp onto handlebars, bar stems, and down tubes.

    I do want to thank Alex for his great blog. I made a measuring fixture exactly like the one he built to measure the cable pull of the i-motion 9 shifter and so far have measured SRAM's i-motion 3, Spectro 5, Spectro7 (which pulls even more cable than Shimano's Alfine 11), and the new G8. I wish I had made one a lot sooner...

    Jeff Meredith
    BOXKARS

    On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Alex Wetmore <alex@...> wrote:

    You can find i9 cable pull measurements on my blog here:
    http://alexwetmore.org/?p=559

    Note that this blog article was hopeful about me being able to make a Shimano barend shifter work for the hub through a pulley multiplication device. I never did get it to work, the i9 had some inconsistent cable pull jumps and those were problematic to work around.

    alex
    Message 2 of 10 , Nov 17, 2013
      David,What's the status of the i9 shifter you mentioned? Have you found it? If so so, how much do you want for it and when can you ship it?Thanks, David Hill Atlanta, GA, USA