RE: [Geared_hub_bikes] Speedhound Dropout System (SDS) - opinions and/or sources?

  • Alex Wetmore
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
      Civia made similar ones for one of their frames. They used to sell the component parts for framebuilders through QBP (and you could often find them on eBay). I'm not sure if they are still available.

      Paragon sells a lot of options that I personally prefer, including the Rocker dropouts:
      http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DS1036

      alex

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2013
          They aren't small bolts, if I remember correctly they are 8mm bolts.

          I haven't used my Rocker dropouts yet, the frame that they are going onto has been in the half-built phase for a very long time.  I hope to finish it this winter.

          I've owned 2 other bikes with sliding dropouts and one other bike with pivoting/rocking dropouts and none have had slippage issues.

          The other option is an eccentric BB.  My touring bike and mountain bike (both Rohloff equipped) have EBBs and I like them a lot, but I am trying Rockers on my commuter frame so that I could build a lugged frame.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2013
              What is the advantage of adjusting the chain tension with a moving dropout, rather than the traditional track or 1970s road or Raleigh Sports style dropouts where the wheel is moved?

              I understand why the Speedhound and the Paragon DS1050/DS1055 makes sense for belt drive.

              I also understand that the older frames have clearance issues with the chain stays to some hub parts, like my Rohloff.  But when making a new frame that clearance could be obtained with the older style dropout just as easily as with the new styles.

              I had thought of "converting" an old frame for belt drive by making a dropout plate similar in concept to the speedhound, and then cutting a slot in the dropout.  No idea how well that would work, but almost certainly better on a cheap frame with stamped dropouts than an expensive frame with forged dropouts.

              Michael Wilson
            • Alex Wetmore
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2013
                What is the advantage of adjusting the chain tension with a moving dropout,
                > rather than the traditional track or 1970s road or Raleigh Sports style dropouts
                > where the wheel is moved?

                There are a few benefits:
                * Vertical dropouts work much better with metal fenders.
                * Don't have to tension the chain every time you fix a flat.
                * Works with disk brakes.
                * Less likely to slip under high torque

                I like EBBs a little better than adjustable dropouts.  They make fenders even better because the bridges can be equal distance from the hub axle.  You can't do that with adjustable dropouts, so you need to use spacers to get a good fender line.

                The quick release Rohloff doesn't work very well on horizontal dropouts because the edges of the axle aren't serrated and it can't dig into the dropout.  Alfine hubs do better in this regard.

                alex
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 8, 2013
                  I know pretty much everyone involved in Speedhound.  Want me to look into this for you?

                  I don't know where the references to the Rocker and eccentric BBs came from. Different animals completely.  The Speedhound system allows the use of a belt, which the Rockers don't, and you can swap plates for derailleur or IGH.  And custom plates could easily be whipped up with a narrow slot and inward offset for a vintage Sturmey.

                  The same guys who CNC machine my cotter press bodies make the dropouts.  Or made? There was some talk of going off-shore when production got to a certain level.

                  On Sep 4, 2013, at 2:54 PM, hughckelley wrote:

                  Does anybody have experience with these? Are they available as components for a custom frame project?

                  http://blog.speedhoundbikes.com/2011/11/15/speedhound-and-belt-drive/

                  Hugh

                  http://www.doteasy.com

                   Mark Stonich;    BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                     5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, MN 55417 USA
                        Ph. (612) 824-2372   http://bikesmithdesign.com