The "best" wheel size!

  • aarons_bicycle_repair
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 24, 2013
      I might add that many of the IGH and drum brake bikes we build use 590mm tires (26 x 1 3/8", E.A.3, 650A)

      Why not 650B? Well there is a lot more selection of tires. Also nearly all 650B tires are fatter because they are 26 x 1 1/2" That is too fat for retrofitting many road bikes. The 650A size is a decent 35mm wide. Some brands of tires measure narrower. Bontrager for example makes a 26 x 1 3/8" that is only 28mm wide. That actually works great on many racing bikes and is much better than the stock 23mm!

      Here is a nice Waterford we did. (note 650B would not have fit, sorry Grant!)
      https://plus.google.com/photos/115815105594596909962/albums/5746257556068416865?banner=pwa

      And a nice Litespeed

      https://plus.google.com/photos/115815105594596909962/albums/5411576913120638481?banner=pwa

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "wahooncx" <wahooncx@...> wrote:

      > Excellent!
      >
      > Different strokes for different folks.
      >
      > I love my IM roller brakes (except the IM-41F).

    • aarons_bicycle_repair
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 11, 2013
        We either space up the steer tube or use the Nitto Technomic stem or one of many available MTB stems. We also use steer tube extensions and quill stem extensions. All are readily available at bike shops that are not race oriented. On all but 3 (so far) of the Surly and SOMA bikes we have sold, the customers do not have us cut the steer tube down.
        We do a final fitting on a trainer before we string up the cables.
        Easy to cut the steerer later.
        I find it odd that Surly bikes, for example, come with just 3 10mm spacers and most shops just cut the steer tube there. No one thinks that maybe the customer should decide it. It is like if a clothing store hemmed all the dress pants when they unpacked their order!