Re: Rear Racks for Bikes Discussion

  • palatine_ej
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 9, 2009
      > I was just talking to friends last night and we mentioned the real king of racks - Bruce Gordon

      WOW, I like his stuff, esp the Taiwan made BLT with racks for less than $1000.
    • Alan Lloyd
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 9, 2009
        IMHO Velo Orange carry some nice-looking racks - I don't actually have any of them, so I can't actually say how well they hold up ...

        http://www.velo-orange.com/racks.html

        Alan Lloyd
        Schaumburg, Illinois, USA

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 9, 2009
          In Chicago on Saturday, May 2nd ...
          http://www.thechainlink.org/events/the-queens-tweed-ride

          Alan Lloyd
          Schaumburg, Illinois, USA

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 9, 2009
            That URL got 'spaced out', try http://tinyurl.com/debqoy

            Alan Lloyd
            Schaumburg, Illinois, USA

            > How about comments from members regarding rack preferences and any experiences with rack or mounting hardware failures.

            I have a Surly rear rack on my 29er commuter (pictures are posted) very nice, a little pricey, similar to the Gordon racks, rated to 70lbs:

            http://www.universa lcycles.com/ shopping/ product_details. php?id=23952& category= 3538

            http://www.universa lcycles.com/ shopping/ product_details. php?id=23937& category= 3539

          • Wilbur Ince

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 9, 2009
                Wilbur;

                Center of gravity is also why I like the general design of the Tubus Logo and Topeak Super Tourist DX racks. Both have pannier top mounting bars dropped substantially below the rack top platform which should lower the c of g compared to more standard rear rack designs.

                Another advantage with the Topeak Super Tourist DX is that the lowered pannier position allows use with panniers and the Topeak slide on rack trunks at the same time. I just bought a pair of REI's folding shopping panniers and they are high enough when installed that they interfere with all but the narrowest top trunks when mounted on standard design rear racks.

                One complaint I have noted on Bike Forums is failure of rack mounting bolts on some racks when loaded substantially. Sounds like some rack makers are providing cheap bolts, probably Chinese junk. I have just ordered a bunch of supposedly good stainless steel hex socket head 5mm x 16mm bolts from Smallparts.com to have on hand for bike projects. Decent quality rack mounting bolts should not fail if properly tightened IMO.

                Rich Wood

                --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Wilbur Ince <wilbur@...> wrote:

                > I'm amazed that anyone makes or buys high platform front racks, with
                > loads held above the front wheel. In the 90's I took a 10 week solo
                > tour with a 'high-boy' setup, something I never did again - and would
                > not recommend to anyone.
                >
                > There is style and nostalgia - and there is form and function.
                > Unfortunately high front racks do not incorporate these two concepts -
                > even in stainless and chromed stainless.
                >
                > Wilbur
                >

                > Alan Lloyd wrote:
                > >

                > > IMHO Velo Orange carry some nice-looking racks - I don't actually have
                > > any of them, so I can't actually say how well they hold up ...
                > >
                > > http://www.velo-orange.com/racks.html
                > >
                > > Alan Lloyd
                > > Schaumburg, Illinois, USA

              • Darol Hinton
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 9, 2009
                  I too have a Topeak Explorer rear rack.  Actually I have three on various bikes and a Topeak beam rack for my full suspension bike.  The two I have on 29ers are the disc variant which do no interfere with the rear brake caliper on my bikes. Some manufacturers are putting the caliper in a locatioin which gets it out of the way of conventional racks.  I like the Topeaks because of the nice integrated bags that go with them.  They just slide in and lock with no fuss.  I have a couple of bags so I just use whichever one suits the trip...or none.  The Topeaks do not have the capacity of chromo racks but are pretty strong for Al.  I have used one on a bike camping trip but most of my (heavy) stuff was in a trailer.  I just had clothing, sleeping bag and matress on the rear rack.  Ortleib bags worked fine with it.

                  I do know of folks that have had issues with aluminum racks while touring.  I got the info second hand so I don't know if it was substandard equipment or overloading.

                  Yes Rich, the ones that just clamp to the seat post will swing to the side when bumped.  That is what happens on my FS bike which has the Topeak beam rack.  I put up with it for the convienence of being able to put a bit of stuff back there.  If I go hard core single tracking I always carry everything on my back.  There is a company here that makes racks that fit frames one would not normally think you could put a rack on:
                  I have not personally seen their stuff.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 10, 2009
                    > Unfortunately high front racks do not incorporate these two concepts -
                    Interesting, I had the exact opposite experience. I found the low-rider racks put my panniers so low they were striking all sorts of things. I had a set of Eclipes low riders, they broke after 1 week on a 6 week tour. I finished the ride with a standard frt rack, I found all I had to do was store all the heavy stuff down low in the frt panniers (stove and cooking stuff), the difference was only 3-4 inches. I had a H2O jug on the frt rack platform, not much different than when I buck a 30 pack of beer ;~)

                    Eric
                  • A & T
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 15, 2009
                      I just put a Topeak explorer on my wife's 3 speed Trek. It is very sturdy and for the price(25ish)a bargain. We loaded up 2 big sacks of groceries today with no issues.

                      We are planning to bike as much as possible and take very good care of the Benz veggie-diesel car.

                      Take that OPEC!
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 16, 2009
                        Having looked over a number of racks on Amazon I get the impression that the Topeak Explorer is quite possibly the sturdiest of the inexpensive aluminum racks.

                        Certainly stiffer than the Blackburn MTN rack I have used. The Blackburn appears to use solid small diameter aluminum rod versus the Topeak using larger diameter tubing. Weights are listed as similar. I also note that on Amazon the Blackburn is considerably more expensive.

                        Additionally the Topeak has a taillight or reflector mounting bracket that is compatible with many taillights, including European ones with 50mm spacing for the mounting screws.

                        Rich Wood

                        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "A & T" <atgep@...> wrote:

                        > I just put a Topeak explorer on my wife's 3 speed Trek. It is very sturdy and for the price(25ish)a bargain. We loaded up 2 big sacks of groceries today with no issues.
                        >
                        > We are planning to bike as much as possible and take very good care of the Benz veggie-diesel car.
                        >
                        > Take that OPEC!

                      • Darol Hinton
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 16, 2009
                          I have this light http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3018_1.html  on mine but in an inverted position and the tab clipped off.  I probably have it all wrong but oh well.  It comes off easy and stays put when installed.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 17, 2009
                            Darol;

                            I used the Planet Bike rack adapter, modified, to mount my generator taillight to the Civia Hyland rack. I trimmed off the tab and the Superflash mounting channel so basically the adapter became a flat plate. The vertical oriented bolts mount the adapter to the rack and the taillight mounts to the horizontal holes which are on the european standard 50mm centers which many european taillights use.

                            Unfortunately most American racks do not include european standard taillight mounts.

                            Rich Wood

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 20, 2009
                              Info for those who have a Topeak rack or would like to adapt Topeak accessories to another rack and have some mechanical ability.

                              Per emailed info Topeak does offer both bag bottom plates and rack top channels as separate parts. The bag front clips which secure the bag to the front of the rack are also available.

                              I am intending to adapt both a old milk crate and an ammo can to fit the Topeak racks via the bag bottom plates and front clips. Totally urban rat bike ;-)

                              BTW the Civia Hyland rack front raised loop is the right height to work with the front clip on Topeak trunks. Older Topeak trunks with the velcro hold down pieces on the bag work well with the Civia rack even w/o the slide in channel on the rack. Too bad that Topeak has eliminated those from their current design rack trunks.

                              It looks to me like this may also apply to the Surly rear rack based on the Surly rack tech drawing PDF I downloaded. If you look on the Surly web site they offer more tech information on their racks, including an installation manual, than I have seen for any other manufacturer. The Surly rear rack is heavy but seems to be both large and strong from reports I have seen and published dimensions.

                              If anyone is interested I can provide the phone number for ordering the Topeak parts as I do not have the info in front of me at the moment.

                              Rich Wood