Drum Brakes and Derailleur Gears Together?

  • dannyrobinson1962
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 20, 2013
      I saw an unusual bike today... it is a DBS Offroad, I have not seen one like it before. It combines drum brakes with derailleur gears. I can see the point if you really are off road and getting into the muddy stuff and I wonder why we don't see this combination more often. Is it because disc brakes have taken over for off road use?

      Pictures here... https://plus.google.com/photos/110055669501444994025/albums/5914317313012126801 The bike was in the bike racks at a railway station so I couldn't get an uncluttered shot.

      Has anyone else ever come across this combination? For that matter, has anyone here tried building one like this?
    • aarons_bicycle_repair
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 11, 2013
        We either space up the steer tube or use the Nitto Technomic stem or one of many available MTB stems. We also use steer tube extensions and quill stem extensions. All are readily available at bike shops that are not race oriented. On all but 3 (so far) of the Surly and SOMA bikes we have sold, the customers do not have us cut the steer tube down.
        We do a final fitting on a trainer before we string up the cables.
        Easy to cut the steerer later.
        I find it odd that Surly bikes, for example, come with just 3 10mm spacers and most shops just cut the steer tube there. No one thinks that maybe the customer should decide it. It is like if a clothing store hemmed all the dress pants when they unpacked their order!