sturmey archer question

  • frameteam2003
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7 7:30 PM
      will a threaded driver from an old(60s era)S.A. fit a modern S.A. 3 speed(90mm drum)
    • johnallen2003
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2013

        The threaded driver will fit the classic drum-brake hubs (internals like those of the classic AW except for the narrower planet cage) but will not fit any of the new no-intermediate-gear hubs.

        The main reason to use a threaded driver is to thread on a freewheel with the freewheeling locked up so the hub will freewheel and shift properly) for hybrid gearing. However, there will be an unnecessarily large pace between the innermsot cog and the spokes. Sheldon Brown managed 7 by bolting on an inner cog and relieving the dropout and axle nut.

        Sturmey-Archer is now making hubs with a 9-spline driver which appears (I haven't tried it) to be compatible with Shimano cassette cogs and this could be another way to achieve hybrid gearing. SRAM and Sturmy-Archer both make hubs that take full Shimano-compatible multi-speed cassettes and IIRC, Sturmey-Archer offers one with a disk-brake fitting.

        --- In geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, <frameteam2003@...> wrote:

        will a threaded driver from an old(60s era)S.A. fit a modern S.A. 3 speed(90mm drum)
      • John S. Allen
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2013
          Hello, I just joined the group.

          Sorry about the repeated message -- turned out the first message
          disappeared because I was moderated as a new member.

          I'm John Allen, I've been riding internal gears since 1964 and hybrid
          gears since 1977. I'm writer and editor at sheldonbrown.com (as
          Sheldon is unfortunately no longer with us).

          There is lots of info on internal-gear hubs on the site -- you could
          start at http://sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html. Sheldon had
          good coverage of classic Sturmey-Archer hubs but there is now
          extensive and up-to-date coverage of Sturmey-Archer, SRAM and
          Shimano, with links to technical documents on other sites, arranged
          by hub model number.

          I'm, still looking though for parts lists and rebuilding info on the
          SRAM G8 and the Shimano Alfine 11-speed...and for gear tooth counts
          so I can recalculate drive ratios.

          Howard Sutherland recently gave permission for sheldonbrown.com to
          republish his Handbook of Coaster-Brake and Internal-Gear Hubs, which
          covers common hubs from the 1960s through its publication in 1992.

          I'm pleased to make these resources available. And if you have
          comments and correction, please send them in.

          John S. Allen

          Technical Writer/Editor, http://sheldonbrown.com

          League Cycling Instructor #77-C
          Member, National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices Bicycle
          Technical Committee.

          jsallen *at* bikexprt.com
          http://bikexprt.com
          http://john-s-allen.com/blog
          http://bostonbiker.org/streetsmarts
        • D B
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2013
            Mr. Allen,

            Your reputation precedes you, but in a good way of course. It is great to have an expert such as yourself as a contributor to this group.

            I, as do many others, refer to the sheldonbrown.com pages on a fairly regular basis. Thanks for your continuing work to update that website.

            Dallas Blair

            Sent from my iPhone

[...]

          • jim
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 2013
              Hello John --

              Welcome to the group!  I use Sheldon's site all the time, accessed the Sutherland pages for Sturmey AWs and old timey Shimano 333s just last week. We is glad to have your experience and expertise contributing I'm sure.

              Jim / So. Fla.

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 5, 2013

                John, many thanks.  I was only looking at  sheldonbrown.com a few days ago to find out how I can put a larger sprocket on my Alfine 8.

              • rons_hobbies