Re: Nexus 8 drive side cone disassembling / relubing.

  • xpinar
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7 5:45 PM
      Thanks Aaron, could you please explain how to take it apart w/o the special tool? From the pics it looks like a small tube with notches, maybe I can make one myself?

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "aarons_bicycle_repair" <aaron@...> wrote:

      > yest it is possible, but the risk is the axle assembly will come apart.
      > The special tools make it way easier.
      >
      > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "xpinar" <xpinar@> wrote:
      > >
      > > My Nexus 8 is approaching 5,000 kms and I'm thinking about re-lubing it. My question is, can you clean/grease the drive side cone without disassembling it? According to Shimano tech docs, the axle unit should be inmersed in oil but not completely, so this cone wouldn't receive any new lube. I don't have the recommended special tool, could I disassemble/reassemble the cone without it? It seems the hub servicing would be incomplete if the drive side cone is left "as is".

    • Irvine Short
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8 12:37 AM
        For that matter, what is the problem with dunking the internals entirely? "According to Shimano tech docs, the axle unit should be inmersed in oil but not completely" - is there a reason?

        In my very limited experience I accidentally dunked the entire thing and thought "stuffit" but I'd be curious to know more.

      • Zack B
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8 4:40 PM

          If you aren't going to open the bearing, the next best thing is to lubricate with either with an oil that refreshes the grease or an oil that can stand in for the grease.

          The insanely expensive shimano oil is said to have been designed to do the first and has definitely been tested for compatibility with the original shimano grease. The can will set you back $80.  If you can get a shop to sell you just a syringe that would probably be enough for a single bearing. Otherwise you want a thin slippery oil that will easily mig

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8 4:45 PM

            (Stupid fat finger)

            That will easily migrate into the hub.

            Phils will stand in for grease. I have a sealed old front hub that has ten years in the rain off of the first oiling.