Lubricant Choice for Internals?

  • planetaryfellow
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2013
      Hi folks,

      I'm rebuilding a few Sachs 3 speed torpedo hubs and would like some input into lubricant choice. One is a coaster brake version, one is not.

      I know I need high temperature grease for the coaster brake, and an oil for the general internals. I'd like recommendations for both grease and oil based on some more experienced members!

      Thanks,
      Thomas
    • Zack B
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2013
        High-temp boat trailer grease comes highly recomended by insane people who regularly set their rear hub on fire:

        http://www.atomiccycles.com/coaster.html

        --
        -Zack
      • just3slickgears
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2013
          Hi Thomas --
          you wrote:

          >... I'd like recommendations for both grease and oil based on some more experienced members!

          I recently disassembled and lubed a Sachs Torpedo 3 with a coaster brake and needed to get up to speed on lubricants. I found these messages useful as a starting point:
          7492
          7250
          7260

          As you'd imagine there's been quite alot of discussion on this subject and you'll find much more if you decide to search through the messages yourself. We're fortunate to have alot of very experienced and even professional members who've shared their knowledge on the this.

          Jim / so. fla.