Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Manufacturers Listening

  • Zack B
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2013
      On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM, aarons_bicycle_repair <aaron@...> wrote:

      <snip>

       ...It is actually good news because bike shops will make more money and hopefully be able to employ mechanics at a higher wage...

      Don't hold your breath on that one.

      The entire manufacturing and retail model mainstream cycling is currently using is based on minimizing labor costs at any price.

      --
      -Zack
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2013
        > I think perhaps you don't understand the
        > traditional supply chain order.
        > Manufacturers sell to distributors who sell
        > to bike shops who sell to end users.

        I'm not in the industry, but I'm gonna guess that darn near all IGHs made worldwide are sold by the manufacturers to OEMs to be built into new machines at the assembly factories. I betcha there are guys and gals in the IGH industry that eat, sleep, breath, nurture and coddle their OEM contracts.

        I'm also guessing Shimano lost more Nexus 3 hubs in their warehouse than they sold at individual retail to enthusiasts, experimenters and cranks (the human kind) last year.

        Some yahoo on a Yahoo IGH group rags on SRAM? Who cares? What was actually meaningful to them was getting big OEMs like Giant and Specialized to switch from Shimano Nexus 3 to SRAM iMotion 3 hubs this past year.

        pj
      • Zack B
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2013

          Fallbrook technology does seem to want direct customer feedback