Re: Manufacturers Listening

  • aarons_bicycle_repair
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2013
      I think perhaps you don't understand the traditional supply chain order.
      Manufacturers sell to distributors who sell to bike shops who sell to end users.
      Now with the internet Manufacturers are selling consumer direct.
      So it would seem like they would be interested in this group, but they are not. They still want to hear what bike shop say. I give them all lots of feedback. Usually thru a Dealer Rep.

      Shimano is fighting back to protect dealers from internet discounters and keep their product value up. They would rather you buy from a bike shop than online. To that end they just cut their distributor list to just 6 companies bike shops can buy Shimano product. Shoes and pedals can only be purchased wholesale from them. This is good news for dealers as margin will be protected but "bad" news for end ussers as retail price will rise. It is actually good news because bike shops will make more money and hopefully be able to employ mechanics at a higher wage. This will encourage career mechanics that know a thing or two about IGH.

      Cutting out the middlemen is not always good business, especially when those middlemen added value to the product like technical support and consolidated shipping. Quality Bicycle Products for example.

      Cheers!

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Zack B <zoombomber@...> wrote:

      > BWAHAHAHAAA!
      >

      > On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM, yappendog <yappendog@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hello Group, Does anyone have any evidence that the manufacturers of IGH's
      > > follow what is posted in this group? One would hope that they are, given
      > > that we are users of their products and by having field tested them are in
      > > a real world position to offer praise or criticism or those products.
      > >

      > --
      > -Zack

    • Zack B
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2013
        On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM, aarons_bicycle_repair <aaron@...> wrote:

        <snip>

         ...It is actually good news because bike shops will make more money and hopefully be able to employ mechanics at a higher wage...

        Don't hold your breath on that one.

        The entire manufacturing and retail model mainstream cycling is currently using is based on minimizing labor costs at any price.

        --
        -Zack
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2013
          > I think perhaps you don't understand the
          > traditional supply chain order.
          > Manufacturers sell to distributors who sell
          > to bike shops who sell to end users.

          I'm not in the industry, but I'm gonna guess that darn near all IGHs made worldwide are sold by the manufacturers to OEMs to be built into new machines at the assembly factories. I betcha there are guys and gals in the IGH industry that eat, sleep, breath, nurture and coddle their OEM contracts.

          I'm also guessing Shimano lost more Nexus 3 hubs in their warehouse than they sold at individual retail to enthusiasts, experimenters and cranks (the human kind) last year.

          Some yahoo on a Yahoo IGH group rags on SRAM? Who cares? What was actually meaningful to them was getting big OEMs like Giant and Specialized to switch from Shimano Nexus 3 to SRAM iMotion 3 hubs this past year.

          pj
        • Zack B
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2013

            Fallbrook technology does seem to want direct customer feedback