Manufacturers Listening

  • yappendog
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27 10:43 AM
      Hello Group, Does anyone have any evidence that the manufacturers of IGH's follow what is posted in this group? One would hope that they are, given that we are users of their products and by having field tested them are in a real world position to offer praise or criticism or those products.
    • Zack B
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28 4:09 PM
        BWAHAHAHAAA!

        --
        -Zack
      • Rich W
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28 5:24 PM
          The owner of the US warranty repair facility for Rohloff (Cycle Monkey) is a group member who frequently answers technical questions on the group. He also imports much more of the Rohloff product line than any of the major distributors last I knew. Check with him first for accessories and spares. Whether or not the factory has people who kibitz I have no idea. Due to my early communications with them they know the group exists unless they have forgotten.

          Shimano USA and Sram - unknown. I sometimes get the impression that their USA personnel wish that IGH products did not exist. A bunch of derailleur loving frankophiles apparently ;-) Certainly their technical and parts support for IGH products is pretty minimal. SRAM was informed of the groups existence several years ago.

          Sturmey Archer unknown. Again their USA tech rep has been informed of the group existence.

          I am sure that Yahoo tracks non member visits to groups but there is no way to access the information that I know of. Also who knows if any members are employees of Shimano, Sram or SA unless they announce the fact. Many members have never posted even once. Based on current visitor information posted on groups such as Bike Forums less than 25% of visitors are group members so I suspect the same may be true here.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "yappendog" <yappendog@...> wrote:

          > Hello Group, Does anyone have any evidence that the manufacturers of IGH's follow what is posted in this group? One would hope that they are, given that we are users of their products and by having field tested them are in a real world position to offer praise or criticism or those products.

        • aarons_bicycle_repair
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30 2:53 PM
            I think perhaps you don't understand the traditional supply chain order.
            Manufacturers sell to distributors who sell to bike shops who sell to end users.
            Now with the internet Manufacturers are selling consumer direct.
            So it would seem like they would be interested in this group, but they are not. They still want to hear what bike shop say. I give them all lots of feedback. Usually thru a Dealer Rep.

            Shimano is fighting back to protect dealers from internet discounters and keep their product value up. They would rather you buy from a bike shop than online. To that end they just cut their distributor list to just 6 companies bike shops can buy Shimano product. Shoes and pedals can only be purchased wholesale from them. This is good news for dealers as margin will be protected but "bad" news for end ussers as retail price will rise. It is actually good news because bike shops will make more money and hopefully be able to employ mechanics at a higher wage. This will encourage career mechanics that know a thing or two about IGH.

            Cutting out the middlemen is not always good business, especially when those middlemen added value to the product like technical support and consolidated shipping. Quality Bicycle Products for example.

            Cheers!

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Zack B <zoombomber@...> wrote:

            > BWAHAHAHAAA!
            >

            > On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM, yappendog <yappendog@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hello Group, Does anyone have any evidence that the manufacturers of IGH's
            > > follow what is posted in this group? One would hope that they are, given
            > > that we are users of their products and by having field tested them are in
            > > a real world position to offer praise or criticism or those products.
            > >

            > --
            > -Zack

          • Zack B
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30 7:51 PM
              On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM, aarons_bicycle_repair <aaron@...> wrote:

              <snip>

               ...It is actually good news because bike shops will make more money and hopefully be able to employ mechanics at a higher wage...

              Don't hold your breath on that one.

              The entire manufacturing and retail model mainstream cycling is currently using is based on minimizing labor costs at any price.

              --
              -Zack
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31 10:51 AM
                > I think perhaps you don't understand the
                > traditional supply chain order.
                > Manufacturers sell to distributors who sell
                > to bike shops who sell to end users.

                I'm not in the industry, but I'm gonna guess that darn near all IGHs made worldwide are sold by the manufacturers to OEMs to be built into new machines at the assembly factories. I betcha there are guys and gals in the IGH industry that eat, sleep, breath, nurture and coddle their OEM contracts.

                I'm also guessing Shimano lost more Nexus 3 hubs in their warehouse than they sold at individual retail to enthusiasts, experimenters and cranks (the human kind) last year.

                Some yahoo on a Yahoo IGH group rags on SRAM? Who cares? What was actually meaningful to them was getting big OEMs like Giant and Specialized to switch from Shimano Nexus 3 to SRAM iMotion 3 hubs this past year.

                pj
              • Zack B
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 31 2:36 PM

                  Fallbrook technology does seem to want direct customer feedback