Re: New to this hub business and in need of help.

  • rons_hobbies
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 24, 2013
      Tanh, I understand budget and travel constraints, so this may not be a viable option. Consider looking to see if you are near a bicycle cooperative. A partial list can be found here
      http://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/index.php?title=Community_Bicycle_Organizations#Ontario

      or try localized searches. We see the occasional Sturney/Archer 3 speed donation or if you are willing to take a chance, a mounted old Shimano 333 hub from an old Huffy or Schwinn might work. They are un-repairable but may buy you some time.

      Some cooperatives support their volunteers with purchase plans in return for volunteer time. In our case, many volunteers start with not much more than rudimentary mechanical ability but believe me when it's busy I'm really happy to have someone manning the greeter position and manage the cash register. They learn as they can and know that the only dumb question is the one not asked.

      Can always try a Craig's List "want" too.

      Best of luck,

      Ron

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Sophiep" <tanhtrantl@...> wrote:

      > I was thinking the same thing. A new hub laced to my wheel would seem the best route to go. It's the fact that they're hard to come by cheap here that's the issue I'm finding. A nice Sturney/Archer 3 speed would be all I need, if one could find something like that in Southern Ontario for relatively cheap.
      >
      > Ebay has them but prices seem to still be a bit high. I might just have to bite the bullet and pay. Next month will really hurt without a budget. BTW I'm new to this terminology, What do you mean by s/h?

    • Sophiep
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2013
        Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. There was a deal for a nexus 8 locally and after a little bargaining, I got it for under $100.

        Now I have another question. My original hub is an SG 8R30. This new hub is an SG 8R36. Will I be able to just swap the internals or will I have to rebuild the wheel? I called Shimano Canada and they said that the part numbers are different and they can't guarantee that it'll work. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this?

        On another side note. Should I do anything to the new hub while I have it apart? Like give it an oil bath or regrease.
      • Andrew Curl
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2013
          I can't advise about swapping the internals, Sophiep (a name would be nice) but the oil bath regrease/ oilbath is a bit of a no-brainer! Do it while it isn't in service, so it goes for longer when it is...

          -Andrew UK

          Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. There was a deal for a nexus 8 locally and after a little bargaining, I got it for under $100.

          Now I have another question. My original hub is an SG 8R30. This new hub is an SG 8R36. Will I be able to just swap the internals or will I have to rebuild the wheel? I called Shimano Canada and they said that the part numbers are different and they can't guarantee that it'll work. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this?

          On another side note. Should I do anything to the new hub while I have it apart? Like give it an oil bath or regrease.

        • Zack B
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2013

            --
            -Zack
          • Sophiep
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2013
              That's an amazing resource there. That chart showed me exactly what I wanted to know. I did the exchange and rode the bike a good 10km to and it worked flawlessly. Obviously I can't tell how it compared performance wise to an original 8R30 because it was replacing a broken one.

              It probably was a no-brainer to do an oil bath but brand new it looked quite alright. although the greasing was sparse to begin with. And it looked like your general purpose lithium grease. I took the unit and let it steep in some GL5 85w90 gear oil for an hour. Worked the mechanisms gears. Then greased it up liberally with some CV axle grease I had left over and put her back together. I used some SRS2000 grease just under the outer cover to discourage water entry. I also wound hockey tap around to seal the cover. Hopefully that will help.

              For those that have rebuilt these, I have another question. The bearing preload, was suggested to be 3nm, or was it 5nm. That's not alot and I don't have a torque wrench that goes that low. So I tightened until there was no discernible play then backed it off until I could barely feel some play. There is no wobble and it feels smooth without any resistance. I was told that this would be adequate and not cause any issues. Is there another way of doing it and will this method suffice?

              Sorry for the novel, I'm so glad I have a bike to ride now. Can't wait to ride into work come monday!
            • Zack B
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
                My personal method of adjusting cone tension on a nexus/alfine hub:

                Place the (fully assembled) wheel in a vice with the brake/locknut side facing up.

                Spin the wheel and place your finger on the cog while it is freewheeling.

                Paying attention to the vibrations of the mechanism coming through the cog, tighten the cone with your other hand until you start to detect drag/roughness in the mechanism through the cog.

                The point you want to adjust to is the maximum smoothness/least drag without significant play in the bearings.

                You can be a little on the loose side with the bearings because the axle nuts will tighten them up when you install the wheel on the bike, but as the cone/locknut will loosen over time It is a good idea to err (a little) on the side of tight rather than loose. Overtight adjustment will cause premature wear on the bearings and can also cause the return spring to bind.