Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] New to this hub business and in need of help.

  • Zack B
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 23, 2013
      Set aside the old wheel until you have the money to replace the nexus, as you will still be getting an $800 bike for $400.

      You can get a whole new 3 speed wheel from universal cycles with your choice of a sturmey archer, shimano or sram hub for about $140.

      http://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php

      On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Tanh T <tanhtrantl@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      This will serve as my introduction and a plea for help. But first a little background so people can understand where I'm coming from.

      I've ridden bikes since I was young and familiar with their functions. Not so much their mechanics though, they've just had to work. Many have been abused but a few years ago I was walking down the street with the lady and saw a Talisman Prelude sitting on somebodies lawn with a sign reading $10. Wow, affordable! I looked over at the lady and she approved. I'll take good care of this one. And it was so she lasted me for 6 years, needing only 1 tube replacement, new rubber on front and rear, the wheels trued a few times and plenty of lube. Then my brother took an interest and it became his when he moved to Calgary.

      Just recently I found that I needed a bike again to do simple errands. I normally walk but it's taking it's toll on my feet and knees. Having been encouraged to buy a IGH equipped bike by my mechanic friend I found a nice used 2008 Specialized Globe Elite IG8. MSRP 800 new for only 200! Took her for a little test ride and seemed ok. So I bought it and brought it to my friend for a fitting and basic setup. That's when the problems arose.

      When he disassembled the hub, it was obvious the roller clutch assembly was shot. The cage was in pieces. A call to Shimano confirmed my fear, I'd have to buy the whole internal assembly to the tune of about $200.

      Now here's the question. As it stands now I really like this bike but if I can't get it fixed for under $100. I'll have to sell it and get a bus pass. I'm fairly mechanically inclined although with little experience with bicycles and don't mind getting my hands dirty if it'll save a few bucks. What options do I have? Convert it?

      BTW sorry for the novel. I've asked on bikeforum and elsewhere as well but would like your opinions also. Any help is appreciated. TIA

      --
      -Zack
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 24, 2013
        The OP's Specialized Globe Elite 8 has an aluminum frame with a 130~135mm OLD. The suggested second hand Sturmey AW will almost certainly have an OLD of 110~120mm.

        If you buy a used hub, understand what comes with it. I don't know why, but many old IGHs are sold stripped of their cog, snap ring, anti-rotation washers, axle nuts, indicator chains and shifters. With Sturmey, all those parts are available, but paying retail and shipping on individual parts adds up. I favor recycling and repurposing, but buy that stuff, some replacement springs, new pawls, a new clutch, a longer axle and spacers and gee, a brand new S-RF3 with NIG and a factory warranty would have been much cheaper.

        pj
      • rons_hobbies
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 24, 2013
          Tanh, I understand budget and travel constraints, so this may not be a viable option. Consider looking to see if you are near a bicycle cooperative. A partial list can be found here
          http://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/index.php?title=Community_Bicycle_Organizations#Ontario

          or try localized searches. We see the occasional Sturney/Archer 3 speed donation or if you are willing to take a chance, a mounted old Shimano 333 hub from an old Huffy or Schwinn might work. They are un-repairable but may buy you some time.

          Some cooperatives support their volunteers with purchase plans in return for volunteer time. In our case, many volunteers start with not much more than rudimentary mechanical ability but believe me when it's busy I'm really happy to have someone manning the greeter position and manage the cash register. They learn as they can and know that the only dumb question is the one not asked.

          Can always try a Craig's List "want" too.

          Best of luck,

          Ron

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Sophiep" <tanhtrantl@...> wrote:

          > I was thinking the same thing. A new hub laced to my wheel would seem the best route to go. It's the fact that they're hard to come by cheap here that's the issue I'm finding. A nice Sturney/Archer 3 speed would be all I need, if one could find something like that in Southern Ontario for relatively cheap.
          >
          > Ebay has them but prices seem to still be a bit high. I might just have to bite the bullet and pay. Next month will really hurt without a budget. BTW I'm new to this terminology, What do you mean by s/h?

        • Sophiep
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3 3:45 AM
            Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. There was a deal for a nexus 8 locally and after a little bargaining, I got it for under $100.

            Now I have another question. My original hub is an SG 8R30. This new hub is an SG 8R36. Will I be able to just swap the internals or will I have to rebuild the wheel? I called Shimano Canada and they said that the part numbers are different and they can't guarantee that it'll work. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this?

            On another side note. Should I do anything to the new hub while I have it apart? Like give it an oil bath or regrease.
          • Andrew Curl
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3 4:37 AM
              I can't advise about swapping the internals, Sophiep (a name would be nice) but the oil bath regrease/ oilbath is a bit of a no-brainer! Do it while it isn't in service, so it goes for longer when it is...

              -Andrew UK

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3 7:21 PM
                  That's an amazing resource there. That chart showed me exactly what I wanted to know. I did the exchange and rode the bike a good 10km to and it worked flawlessly. Obviously I can't tell how it compared performance wise to an original 8R30 because it was replacing a broken one.

                  It probably was a no-brainer to do an oil bath but brand new it looked quite alright. although the greasing was sparse to begin with. And it looked like your general purpose lithium grease. I took the unit and let it steep in some GL5 85w90 gear oil for an hour. Worked the mechanisms gears. Then greased it up liberally with some CV axle grease I had left over and put her back together. I used some SRS2000 grease just under the outer cover to discourage water entry. I also wound hockey tap around to seal the cover. Hopefully that will help.

                  For those that have rebuilt these, I have another question. The bearing preload, was suggested to be 3nm, or was it 5nm. That's not alot and I don't have a torque wrench that goes that low. So I tightened until there was no discernible play then backed it off until I could barely feel some play. There is no wobble and it feels smooth without any resistance. I was told that this would be adequate and not cause any issues. Is there another way of doing it and will this method suffice?

                  Sorry for the novel, I'm so glad I have a bike to ride now. Can't wait to ride into work come monday!
                • Zack B
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4 3:13 PM
                    My personal method of adjusting cone tension on a nexus/alfine hub:

                    Place the (fully assembled) wheel in a vice with the brake/locknut side facing up.

                    Spin the wheel and place your finger on the cog while it is freewheeling.

                    Paying attention to the vibrations of the mechanism coming through the cog, tighten the cone with your other hand until you start to detect drag/roughness in the mechanism through the cog.

                    The point you want to adjust to is the maximum smoothness/least drag without significant play in the bearings.

                    You can be a little on the loose side with the bearings because the axle nuts will tighten them up when you install the wheel on the bike, but as the cone/locknut will loosen over time It is a good idea to err (a little) on the side of tight rather than loose. Overtight adjustment will cause premature wear on the bearings and can also cause the return spring to bind.