Sturmey Archer NIG design explained

  • Dan Burkhart
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2013
      The NIG (No Inbetween Gear) design was an improvement the British came up with before Sunrace took over production of the venerable 3 speed. Sunrace adopted the new design for all 3 and 5 speed production right out of the gate.
      Here's a video showing the design change.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UyHVWsvzQs
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2013
        Excellent explanation. I look for this video to go viral. : )

        There are a few pre-SunRace, Nottingham-built AW-NIGs around.

        BTW, did you ever confirm that the HSA470 Actuator

        <http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sturmey-archer-actuator-plate-for-driver-hsa470-prod19171/>

        is just an assembly aid?
      • Dan Burkhart
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2013
          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

          > Excellent explanation. I look for this video to go viral. : )
          >
          > There are a few pre-SunRace, Nottingham-built AW-NIGs around.
          >
          > BTW, did you ever confirm that the HSA470 Actuator
          >
          > <http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sturmey-archer-actuator-plate-for-driver-hsa470-prod19171/>
          >
          > is just an assembly aid?

          Well, I've put a couple of 5 speeds together without the actuator, and they work fine. I put this three speed back together without it, and it would lock up when pedalling backwards. No idea why, it seems the pawls should just ratchet backwards, but there it was.
          Tore it back down and reassembled it with the actuator and it works fine.
          Maybe it does have a purpose other than being an assembly aid.