Re: IGH shifting under power/pressure

  • pwdeegan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2013
      was thinking about IGH pressure-shifting just last night as i stood and mashed up a steep section of hill last night. i'm used to shifting with the grip shift by now (this is the trickiest part for many), so it was a non-issue to do it under the strain of my own weight while standing and swinging the bike.

      i do remember a particular advantage to IGH shifting: have you ever shifted the front derailleur on a bicycle under heavy load? it's terrible, if it even works at all. i've jammed chains, dropped chains, and otherwise just failed in the shift/stalled the bike trying to do this. to date, this has never happened on my IGH.

      i know that the way around the above front derailleur issue is to time the shift correctly. and so it goes with IGHs, too. IME, the IGH is a more forgiving.
      -pw