Re: Sram S7 Hub broken apart.

  • stanley_bike
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
      Samantha,

      From the pictures it appears that your hub has come apart from having the hub assembled too loosely on the axle, eventually leading to the ball bearing retainer to come completely come out of the hub and being broken in the process. I suggest taking the wheel to a mechanic experienced with this hub. I would not go to whomever worked on this hub before, because this damage and axle looseness never would have occurred on a properly assembled hub.

      I had to have my S7 adjusted once in13 years of hard use. Yellow Jersey Bicycles in Wisconsin did a good job for me. That was about six years ago; don't know their current status.

      Stan

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <tangoinmymind@...> wrote:

      > But after only 8 weeks of riding the gear chain came off and I look closer to find out the whole hub has broken apart. I have not investigated technical terms yet, but it looks like the bearings have broken and got messed up and damaged. The whol hub in the back wheel seems to have been split apart, on the side of the clickbox surround.
      >
      > Any ideas on how to repair this? I have uploaded pictures of the poor thing.
      > Samantha

    • aarons_bicycle_repair
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2013
        your hub did come apart from the axle locknuts/cones or axle nuts not being tight enough.

        I can fix your hub and have all the parts.

        Instructions for sending me your wheel:

        http://www.rideyourbike.com/internalgears.shtml

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <tangoinmymind@...> wrote:

        > I was the lady that back in the year had to find a new shaft and case, for my Sram S7 gear hub. I found them, replaced them. Had the problem with the clickbox not staying on and the bevel pushing out. I ended up replacing the whole clickbox and gear handle as it came in one unit from and Sram supplier. Picked it up April.
        > But after only 8 weeks of riding the gear chain came off and I look closer to find out the whole hub has broken apart. I have not investigated technical terms yet, but it looks like the bearings have broken and got messed up and damaged. The whol hub in the back wheel seems to have been split apart, on the side of the clickbox surround.
        >
        > Any ideas on how to repair this? I have uploaded pictures of the poor thing. Last time it was not very helpful around as this hub is discontinued but I know that there is passionate people out there that would know what to do next and where to go, so any help would be much appreciated.

        > From a frustrated Hub owner.
        >
        > Samantha

      • jpbabic
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
          I thought the axle had broken.

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "aarons_bicycle_repair" <aaron@...> wrote:

          > your hub did come apart from the axle locknuts/cones or axle nuts not being tight enough.
          >
          > I can fix your hub and have all the parts.
          >
          > Instructions for sending me your wheel:
          >
          > http://www.rideyourbike.com/internalgears.shtml
          >
          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <tangoinmymind@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I was the lady that back in the year had to find a new shaft and case, for my Sram S7 gear hub. I found them, replaced them. Had the problem with the clickbox not staying on and the bevel pushing out. I ended up replacing the whole clickbox and gear handle as it came in one unit from and Sram supplier. Picked it up April.
          > > But after only 8 weeks of riding the gear chain came off and I look closer to find out the whole hub has broken apart. I have not investigated technical terms yet, but it looks like the bearings have broken and got messed up and damaged. The whol hub in the back wheel seems to have been split apart, on the side of the clickbox surround.
          > >
          > > Any ideas on how to repair this? I have uploaded pictures of the poor thing. Last time it was not very helpful around as this hub is discontinued but I know that there is passionate people out there that would know what to do next and where to go, so any help would be much appreciated.

          > > From a frustrated Hub owner.
          > >
          > > Samantha

        • aarons_bicycle_repair
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
            I have all the parts to repair your hub. Just got another order in from Germany!

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "jpbabic" <jbabic@...> wrote:

            > I thought the axle had broken.

            If you want to send it to me or need parts.
            http://www.rideyourbike.com/internalgears.shtml