Re: 3 speed fixed hub

  • prester_john_in_cathay
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 6, 2009
      The most appealing conversion I've seen is the SRAM P5 to fixed three-speed:

      http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/articles/grahamwebster/TECHNICAL_ARTICLE_SRAM_P5.pdf

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/8aq8gc

      (.pdf download)

      PJ
    • Mike Bullis
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 6, 2009
        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich <mark@...> wrote:

        > At 4/5/2009 05:24 PM -0700, Jim Bradford wrote:
        > >Mark, thanks for responding and I am acronymically challenged so
        > >what does N.O.S. mean
        >
        > New Old Stock
        >
        > > and do you have trigger I will need to modify? Or can you suggest
        > > some other way to shift.
        >
        > AFAIK, this conversion uses a 4 speed trigger, unmodified. But if
        > you try to do this starting with a 5 speed you will need to source
        > scarce 4 speed parts to make it work - indicator rods, springs and
        > spring collars. Better to start with a 4 speed. Then all you need
        > is a 5 speed sun.

        I've found that a friction shifter works well on the 3sp conversion. I've been running one since 06. Full back is 1st, anywhere betwixt full back and vertical is 2nd, straight up verticle is neutral(nice for that long down hill), and full forward is 3rd.
        I'd suppose that the friction shifter would work on the two speed conversion as well.

        Mike