Please be Automatic

  • Paulos, Richard G
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2013
      Just picked up a used Trek Lime with the automatic 3 speed system. Does not shift.

      Rides okay. The bike looks like it has never had any maintenance. Could have been rained on a few times. Dry chain, hub quite noisy. Anyone ever worked on one of these? Generator front hub, the wire runs up inside the fork, thru the inside of the fork crown, inside the steerer which must have an opening so the wire continues down the inside of the down tube to the bb area. There is a servo box under the chain stays and a shift cable that runs to the rear hub. Big hub caps and covers to hide everything. Feels like it's in second gear.

      Total geek comfort bike with the bars at near eye level.

      rick
    • RobHalligan

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 24, 2013
          I have a Trek Lime. There is NO battery. The
          juice comes from the front dynohub.
          Mine did not shift when I bought it.

          There is a shift point adjustment on the servo
          box under the chain stay. It takes a small flat
          blade screw driver to change it.
          Printed on the exterior of the servo box are 5
          little dots for the 5 shift point settings plus a
          N setting which locks it into second gear.

          Trek did change the gear specs from 2008 to
          2009. My guess is you have a 2008 model. The
          original gearing was such that you have to pedal
          very fast, like 120 rpm, to get the bike going
          fast enough so it will shift from 1st to
          second. They changed the rear cog size for 2009. From 19t to 18t I recall.

          I set my Lime at the earliest shift point, that's the dot next to the N

          If yours isn't set to N, then it may need the
          cable adjusted just like any other shimano 3
          speed. Set the servo to N to get it to 2nd and
          then adjust the cable. You will need to remove
          the hub cover to get to the adjuster. While you
          are at that, remove the shift housing & rod and shoot some lube into the hub.

          Park tools has a service page on these.

          Yeah, total geek bike. I have to remove the
          bars& stem to fit it in my mini van, the bike is
          soooo tall. I'm trying to sell it but no luck
          yet. The riding position is too upright and I
          just can't get any leg power to the pedals. Ugh.

          MSRP of $595. Raleigh is selling a similar model
          now. IMO, Trek spent way too much on 'style' for
          this bike. Special hub shells, all those covers,
          etc. The intended buyer is a total novice who
          "can't figure out what gears are for" or how to
          work them but those beginners won't spend that much on a bike either.

          Rick