Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Shifters for Internally Geared Hubs

  • Colin Bryant
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
      They remind me of the "stick shift" on my childhood, banana seated, bike from about 1970.  Good luck with your venture.

      --

      Colin

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013

        That looks like what I need for three nexus bikes. Keep us posted!

        On Jun 26, 2013 9:59 PM, "Jeff Meredith" <jeff@...> wrote:

        > [Attachment(s) from Jeff Meredith included below]
        >
        > Bruce,
        >
        > I'm attaching an image with the 3 levers I'm considering for the new shifters. Note that these have a cable anchor point that can be either parallel with the base (as shown) or angled like the ones I'm making now (it's on a tab) and they are lighter since the back is relieved around the clamp.  I'm probably going with the ones on the ends, since the pricing to make the middle one is coming in pretty high.  I'll have to mock up some bar end mounts to see what that looks like, but one of the preferred mounts is clamping it to the bar stem. Then you could flip the bike up and not hit it. Just for a reference point, the O.D. of the whole unit is 2.5."
        >
        > Jeff
        >

        > On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Zack B <zoombomber@...> wrote:
        >>

        >> What are the other shifters you are working on going to look like?
        >>
        >> Would it be possible to mount the hotrod lever on the stem or handlebar so that you could angle it down enough to still flip the bike over for tire changes without damaging the lever?
        >>
        >> On Jun 25, 2013 10:59 PM, "boxkars" <jeff@...> wrote:
        >>>

        >>> I have clamps from 7/8" [22.22mm] to 1.375" [34.9mm], so I think we might cover it just from looking at the photo. There's 4 sizes in between, so let me know what the diameter is and I'll check.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks,
        >>>
        >>> Jeff

      • Zack B
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
          KHS has a banana seat cruiser out for 2012:

          http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2012-khs-models/hot-rod/

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 28, 2013
            Pretty close, but the "retro" fork didn't exist in 1970.

            --

            Colin

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
              We will be working on a shifter for NuVinci hubs . The question is whether to come up with a spring loaded take up for the other cable or make a spool that winds & unwinds the 2 cables they have now. As soon as I finish the SRAM and commuter versions of the IGH shifters, I'm definitely going to look at the Nuvinci. I don't think their cutesy plastic shifter fits very well with a brooks saddle. And, like most stock shifters, I think the hub will outlast it.

              On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 6:31 AM, jensm68 <jens.magne.andreassen@...> wrote:

              Do you have anything for the NuVinci 360 in the pipeline ?

              Looking forward to following your developments.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 30, 2013
                > They remind me of the "stick shift" on my childhood,
                > banana seated, bike from about 1970.

                Still manufactured and available from Sturmey for the AW family of three speed hubs.

                <http://classic-cycle.de/out/pictures/1/596_cls3m_p1.jpg>