Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: 3 speed fixed hub

  • Jim Bradford
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5 5:24 PM
      Mark, thanks for responding and I am acronymically challenged so what does N.O.S. mean and do you have trigger I will need to modify?  Or can you suggest some other way to shift.  I will be making a frame to fit this setup.  By the way I made frames from 74 to 89 for my living and other bike projects and have only dabbled since but still have stuff to make bikes.  I have metalworking business and if you need some material or something I would be happy to help.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5 9:24 PM
        Jim;

        N.O.S. = new old stock as in new but older discontinued items.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Jim Bradford <jimcycle70@...> wrote:

        > Mark, thanks for responding and I am acronymically challenged so what does N.O.S. mean and do you have trigger I will need to modify?  Or can you suggest some other way to shift.  I will be making a frame to fit this setup.  By the way I made frames from 74 to 89 for my living and other bike projects and have only dabbled since but still have stuff to make bikes.  I have metalworking business and if you need some material or something I would be happy to help.

      • prester_john_in_cathay
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 6 5:39 AM
          The most appealing conversion I've seen is the SRAM P5 to fixed three-speed:

          http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/articles/grahamwebster/TECHNICAL_ARTICLE_SRAM_P5.pdf

          or

          http://tinyurl.com/8aq8gc

          (.pdf download)

          PJ
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 6 6:23 AM
            At  4/5/2009 05:24 PM -0700, Jim Bradford  wrote:
            Mark, thanks for responding and I am acronymically challenged so what does N.O.S. mean

            New Old Stock

             and do you have trigger I will need to modify?  Or can you suggest some other way to shift.

            AFAIK, this conversion uses a 4 speed trigger, unmodified.  But if you try to do this starting with a 5 speed you will need to source scarce 4 speed parts to make it work - indicator rods, springs and spring collars.  Better to start with a 4 speed.  Then all you need is a 5 speed sun.

            Personally, I'd wait for the S3X.

             I will be making a frame to fit this setup.  By the way I made frames from 74 to 89 for my living and other bike projects and have only dabbled since but still have stuff to make bikes.

            Sorry but I don't recognize your name.  What brand name was on your bikes or were you with Trek or.....

            I haven't built a non-recumbent frame in quite a while but now I have a challenge.  I want to build my wife a very light bike, but she needs a low step-over height.  She hurt her knee and now has a hard time mounting the mixte I built her in '79.
            http://bikesmithdesign.com/MyBikes/mixte/Mixte2.jpg

            I have metalworking business and if you need some material or something I would be happy to help.

            Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  Where are you located?

            Mark Stonich;
              BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
                     Ph. (612) 824-2372  http://bikesmithdesign.com
                                 http://mnhpva.org

          • Mike Bullis
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 6 10:41 AM
              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich <mark@...> wrote:

              > At 4/5/2009 05:24 PM -0700, Jim Bradford wrote:
              > >Mark, thanks for responding and I am acronymically challenged so
              > >what does N.O.S. mean
              >
              > New Old Stock
              >
              > > and do you have trigger I will need to modify? Or can you suggest
              > > some other way to shift.
              >
              > AFAIK, this conversion uses a 4 speed trigger, unmodified. But if
              > you try to do this starting with a 5 speed you will need to source
              > scarce 4 speed parts to make it work - indicator rods, springs and
              > spring collars. Better to start with a 4 speed. Then all you need
              > is a 5 speed sun.

              I've found that a friction shifter works well on the 3sp conversion. I've been running one since 06. Full back is 1st, anywhere betwixt full back and vertical is 2nd, straight up verticle is neutral(nice for that long down hill), and full forward is 3rd.
              I'd suppose that the friction shifter would work on the two speed conversion as well.

              Mike