Shifters for Internally Geared Hubs

  • boxkars
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
      I build shifters for these hubs that work with the current models from Shimano (3,7,8,&11 speed) and Sturmey Archer (3,5,&8 speed)and I'm developing one for the SRAM range as well. Right now I have shifters for cruiser bikes, but I'm developing city/commuter and MTB versions. The current range is at www.hotrodbicycles.com The unique aspect of our shifters is that you get an index plate that has up to 4 different shift patterns, so you can upgrade from a 3 speed to an 8 speed for instance without having to buy anything else, and you can change out the index plate if you want to change brands (Shimano to SA for example), without having to buy a new shifter. They are also built to last as long as the whole bike.
      I'm hoping I can help answer questions about these hubs and what it takes to shift them and that I can get some feedback and suggestions on my product line.

      Jeff Meredith
      BOXKARS
    • Zack B
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
        Awesome product!

        Do you have a frame clamp that will work on oversize tubing?

        Like this:

        --
        -Zack
      • boxkars
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
          I have clamps from 7/8" [22.22mm] to 1.375" [34.9mm], so I think we might cover it just from looking at the photo. There's 4 sizes in between, so let me know what the diameter is and I'll check.

          Thanks,

          Jeff

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Zack B <zoombomber@...> wrote:

          > Awesome product!
          >
          > Do you have a frame clamp that will work on oversize tubing?
          >
          > Like this:
          >
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/luban/6944401976/sizes/o/
          >

          > On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM, boxkars <jeff@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I build shifters for these hubs that work with the current models from
          > > Shimano (3,7,8,&11 speed) and Sturmey Archer (3,5,&8 speed)and I'm
          > > developing one for the SRAM range as well. Right now I have shifters for
          > > cruiser bikes, but I'm developing city/commuter and MTB versions. The
          > > current range is at www.hotrodbicycles.com The unique aspect of our
          > > shifters is that you get an index plate that has up to 4 different shift
          > > patterns, so you can upgrade from a 3 speed to an 8 speed for instance
          > > without having to buy anything else, and you can change out the index plate
          > > if you want to change brands (Shimano to SA for example), without having to
          > > buy a new shifter. They are also built to last as long as the whole bike.
          > > I'm hoping I can help answer questions about these hubs and what it takes
          > > to shift them and that I can get some feedback and suggestions on my
          > > product line.
          > >
          > > Jeff Meredith
          > > BOXKARS
          > >

          > --
          > -Zack

        • Zack B
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013

            What are the other shifters you are working on going to look like?

            Would it be possible to mount the hotrod lever on the stem or handlebar so that you could angle it down enough to still flip the bike over for tire changes without damaging the lever?

            On Jun 25, 2013 10:59 PM, "boxkars" <jeff@...> wrote:

            I have clamps from 7/8" [22.22mm] to 1.375" [34.9mm], so I think we might cover it just from looking at the photo. There's 4 sizes in between, so let me know what the diameter is and I'll check.

            Thanks,

            Jeff

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Zack B <zoombomber@...> wrote:

            > Awesome product!
            >
            > Do you have a frame clamp that will work on oversize tubing?
            >
            > Like this:
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/luban/6944401976/sizes/o/
            >

            > On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM, boxkars <jeff@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I build shifters for these hubs that work with the current models from
            > > Shimano (3,7,8,&11 speed) and Sturmey Archer (3,5,&8 speed)and I'm
            > > developing one for the SRAM range as well. Right now I have shifters for
            > > cruiser bikes, but I'm developing city/commuter and MTB versions. The
            > > current range is at www.hotrodbicycles.com The unique aspect of our
            > > shifters is that you get an index plate that has up to 4 different shift
            > > patterns, so you can upgrade from a 3 speed to an 8 speed for instance
            > > without having to buy anything else, and you can change out the index plate
            > > if you want to change brands (Shimano to SA for example), without having to
            > > buy a new shifter. They are also built to last as long as the whole bike.
            > > I'm hoping I can help answer questions about these hubs and what it takes
            > > to shift them and that I can get some feedback and suggestions on my
            > > product line.
            > >
            > > Jeff Meredith
            > > BOXKARS
            > >

            > --
            > -Zack

          • Jeff Meredith
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
            Bruce,

            I'm attaching an image with the 3 levers I'm considering for the new shifters. Note that these have a cable anchor point that can be either parallel with the base (as shown) or angled like the ones I'm making now (it's on a tab) and they are lighter since the back is relieved around the clamp.  I'm probably going with the ones on the ends, since the pricing to make the middle one is coming in pretty high.  I'll have to mock up some bar end mounts to see what that looks like, but one of the preferred mounts is clamping it to the bar stem. Then you could flip the bike up and not hit it. Just for a reference point, the O.D. of the whole unit is 2.5."

            Jeff

            On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Zack B <zoombomber@...> wrote:

            What are the other shifters you are working on going to look like?

            Would it be possible to mount the hotrod lever on the stem or handlebar so that you could angle it down enough to still flip the bike over for tire changes without damaging the lever?

            On Jun 25, 2013 10:59 PM, "boxkars" <jeff@...> wrote:

            I have clamps from 7/8" [22.22mm] to 1.375" [34.9mm], so I think we might cover it just from looking at the photo. There's 4 sizes in between, so let me know what the diameter is and I'll check.

            Thanks,

            Jeff

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Zack B <zoombomber@...> wrote:

            > Awesome product!
            >
            > Do you have a frame clamp that will work on oversize tubing?
            >
            > Like this:
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/luban/6944401976/sizes/o/
            >

            > On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM, boxkars <jeff@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I build shifters for these hubs that work with the current models from
            > > Shimano (3,7,8,&11 speed) and Sturmey Archer (3,5,&8 speed)and I'm
            > > developing one for the SRAM range as well. Right now I have shifters for
            > > cruiser bikes, but I'm developing city/commuter and MTB versions. The
            > > current range is at www.hotrodbicycles.com The unique aspect of our
            > > shifters is that you get an index plate that has up to 4 different shift
            > > patterns, so you can upgrade from a 3 speed to an 8 speed for instance
            > > without having to buy anything else, and you can change out the index plate
            > > if you want to change brands (Shimano to SA for example), without having to
            > > buy a new shifter. They are also built to last as long as the whole bike.
            > > I'm hoping I can help answer questions about these hubs and what it takes
            > > to shift them and that I can get some feedback and suggestions on my
            > > product line.
            > >
            > > Jeff Meredith
            > > BOXKARS
            > >

            > --
            > -Zack

          • jensm68
            Message 6 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
              Do you have anything for the NuVinci 360 in the pipeline ?

              Looking forward to following your developments.
            • Colin Bryant
              Message 7 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
                They remind me of the "stick shift" on my childhood, banana seated, bike from about 1970.  Good luck with your venture.

                --

                Colin

                Message 8 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013

                  That looks like what I need for three nexus bikes. Keep us posted!

                  On Jun 26, 2013 9:59 PM, "Jeff Meredith" <jeff@...> wrote:

                  > [Attachment(s) from Jeff Meredith included below]
                  >
                  > Bruce,
                  >
                  > I'm attaching an image with the 3 levers I'm considering for the new shifters. Note that these have a cable anchor point that can be either parallel with the base (as shown) or angled like the ones I'm making now (it's on a tab) and they are lighter since the back is relieved around the clamp.  I'm probably going with the ones on the ends, since the pricing to make the middle one is coming in pretty high.  I'll have to mock up some bar end mounts to see what that looks like, but one of the preferred mounts is clamping it to the bar stem. Then you could flip the bike up and not hit it. Just for a reference point, the O.D. of the whole unit is 2.5."
                  >
                  > Jeff
                  >

                  > On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Zack B <zoombomber@...> wrote:
                  >>

                  >> What are the other shifters you are working on going to look like?
                  >>
                  >> Would it be possible to mount the hotrod lever on the stem or handlebar so that you could angle it down enough to still flip the bike over for tire changes without damaging the lever?
                  >>
                  >> On Jun 25, 2013 10:59 PM, "boxkars" <jeff@...> wrote:
                  >>>

                  >>> I have clamps from 7/8" [22.22mm] to 1.375" [34.9mm], so I think we might cover it just from looking at the photo. There's 4 sizes in between, so let me know what the diameter is and I'll check.
                  >>>
                  >>> Thanks,
                  >>>
                  >>> Jeff

                • Zack B
                  Message 9 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
                    KHS has a banana seat cruiser out for 2012:

                    http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2012-khs-models/hot-rod/

                    Message 10 of 12 , Jun 28, 2013
                      Pretty close, but the "retro" fork didn't exist in 1970.

                      --

                      Colin

                      Message 11 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
                        We will be working on a shifter for NuVinci hubs . The question is whether to come up with a spring loaded take up for the other cable or make a spool that winds & unwinds the 2 cables they have now. As soon as I finish the SRAM and commuter versions of the IGH shifters, I'm definitely going to look at the Nuvinci. I don't think their cutesy plastic shifter fits very well with a brooks saddle. And, like most stock shifters, I think the hub will outlast it.

                        Message 12 of 12 , Jun 30, 2013
                          > They remind me of the "stick shift" on my childhood,
                          > banana seated, bike from about 1970.

                          Still manufactured and available from Sturmey for the AW family of three speed hubs.

                          <http://classic-cycle.de/out/pictures/1/596_cls3m_p1.jpg>