Re: Extending Rohloff Speedhub oil change intervals past 5,000 km

  • KMF
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13 7:17 AM
      Howdy!

      Zach Kaplan wrote:
      > To save time and resources, I wonder if I can now do the oil changes
      > annually which would be a bit over 10,000 km per oil change rather
      > than 5,000 km but would still be within Rohloff's annual oil change
      > guideline.

      I accidentally did this experiment when I first got my Rohloff. I
      had the "once-a-year oil change" stuck in my head so after the initial
      change I didn't think about it for a year and put another 7500 miles on
      the hub pulling a trailer, riding suburban junk miles, and all of the
      usual nonsense. When I finally changed the oil I was really horrified to
      see just how dark and nasty the old oil turned out. And that was with
      the "cleaning oil" mixed in with it. Yuck!

      Looking back at the documentation I realized the error of my ways
      and so for the last several years I just change the oil every six months
      and forget about it. I did purchase a liter of Rohloff oil so that I
      don't have to get hopping mad about the stupid-expensive oil change kit
      every six months, though. Instead I only had to get a stroke once when
      I bought the liter of oil. It is a very pretty, teutonic can though and
      I'll keep it around should I ever empty it.

      I think that my hub is happier with the six months interval and I
      believe that the oil looks to be in much better shape when I drain it.
      It took a a couple of oil changes for it to "clean up" after my abuse so
      I think that I'm doing the right thing now. In addition, even at six
      months I can hear and feel the difference after a hub oil change. YMMV.

      Good luck!

      --
      Kevin Flaherty
      Belmont,CA
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13 7:26 AM
        The older Rohloff oil was really dark and nasty stuff even when brand new. My 1 liter can has much cleaner looking oil (it's got a yellow hue) while my older oil (I purchased 200ml out of a 1 liter can at Aaron's Bike Repair) is very dark almost like it has graphite or something suspended in it.

        My guess is that stretching the oil changes is just fine, but I'm not going to tell Zach that and then have him damage his hub. I will admit to not even doing annual oil changes on my most lightly used Rohloff. It is on a loaner MTB (waiting for the right project for it's final destination) and gets well under 100 miles per year.

        alex

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13 5:26 PM
          Howdy!

          --- Alex Wetmore <alex@...> wrote:

          > The older Rohloff oil was really dark and nasty stuff
          > even when brand new.

          This may be true but I know at the time of that 7500 mile oil change I was very convinced that the mud I was getting out could not have been healthy for the poor hub. More importantly it just seemed to work so much better after the oil change. However, it's also true that I still feels it works better after a six month interval on the oil change with fewer annual miles so .....

          >I will admit to not even doing annual oil changes on my
          > most lightly used Rohloff.

          From your description I wouldn't bother changing annually for that bike either! In my case just due to pure laziness I'd avoid doing anything that did not seem to have a clear and convincing benefit. Our automobiles know all about that as their oil change frequency is affected by their low annual mileage.

          Later!

          --